ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 20ga 1100 parts query
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Just want to shout out A HUGE THANK YOU TO casonet for going way out of your way to assist me in obtaining the correct part for my dear friend’s “Standard Frame 20g 1100” - - your kindness will never be forgotten and is SO indicative of what makes the shooting community the very, very special universe unto itself that we all make it!

Thank YOU, sir! {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks, but I really did nothing but fill a need: something that I think that most of us would do.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian, this specific post is sort of “to you” as you’ve come to the rescue on all things Rem 1100 related so many times I’ve lost count. Your knowledge is MUCH appreciated sir! {hs#

And I’d almost PM all the following to you but, in all honesty, there’s no telling who else might be helped by any insight you can offer. That said, I apologize up front for any length of this post but, I’d rather give too much info versus leave something out that may help you help me.

In the attached photo the feed latch ON THE RIGHT is the original I pulled out of my friends 1971 1100 20ga to replace it with the Standard Frame 1100 20ga feed latch (-ON THE LEFT in the attached photo).

I was immediately struck by the differences between the two -

QUESTION # 1: HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A FEED LATCH SUCH AS THE ONE ON THE RIGHT come out of a 20ga 1100 - built on a 12ga frame?

QUESTION # 2: If your answer to Q # 1 is “yes” then, SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR YET A DIFFERENT VARIATION OR ITERATION OF FEED LATCH THAT REMINGTON MAY HAVE USED ON “LATER” (I.e., 1971) 20ga 1100’s built on 12ga receivers?

If your answer is “No” then the mystery for me only deepens as, prior to when the gun wouldn’t function and we discovered the feed latch bent on October 7, 2020, I witnessed the gun functioning normally during rounds of skeet - with that feed latch on the right in the gun (and the guns owner - son of the original purchaser - assures me that has got to be the feed latch the 1100 20ga on a 12ga frame had to leave the factory with.

Lastly, and I haven’t confirmed it yet but, it almost appears as if the “business end” / tip of the feed latch ON THE RIGHT has been sheared off. (As soon as I can find my magnifier headset with loupe I should have a better ability to closely inspect the end of that tip)

Virginian, in case it is of relevance, I used references from Remington to date my friends family heirloom (purchased new by father and passed directly to son) 1100 20ga to: FEBRUARY, 1971.

That is, “Skeet” marked barrel with Month Code “L” and Year Code “U” confirmed by son of original owner as original to receiver with S/N Prefix “L” and most-critical for our purposes Suffix “X”

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm 
Crown Grade

References provided me by Remington over the course of several Law Endorcment Armorers’ Schools I completed what seems like many, MANY years ago - in case they be of assist to any others ... :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by thor_sen on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Attachment 4/4 ...

Post subject: 20ga 1100 parts query
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unfortunately those barrel codes pertain only to the barrel. Barrels can be changed. The receiver serial number will indicate when it was made. Remington is now out of business so you can’t call them to date the receiver. If you believe that the barrel is original to the gun, then that’s probably your best reference

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
...If you believe that the barrel is original to the gun, then that’s probably your best reference

Yes, normally I do not put too much emphasis on barrel date codes as far as trying to correlate those dates to frame or receiver year of manufacture; however; in this instance I can rely on fact gun was purchased new (retail) by the father and not shot a lot before being passed down to son who has the original sales receipt ...

If nothing else the fact the serial # has a Prefix tells us it (the receiver) was mfr’ed 1968 or after ...

And yes, I wince every time I think about what has befallen “America’s Oldest Gunmaker” over the decades ... :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They one on the right for sure looks like an original feed latch. With that raised reinforcing rib. BUT it looks like it got broken off. That may have occurred when the gun began malfunctioning. Encountered several over the years and the owner/shooter never saw, heard, or found the broken off piece. I have seen people fool around with bending a broken one to the point where a gun would function better than 90% of the time. Two shots was easy but three could be an issue. Only issue was the base of the shells would often drag on the carrier. One can take a 12 gauge latch and bend it to where it protrudes into the receiver far enough to work with the 20 gauge shells, but they do not hold up as well as the originals. You have to be careful to only bend the end part and retain the original bend further back so the action bars still actuate the latch.
The one on the left MAY also be from Remington because if I remember right they changed the design along the way before they stopped providing spares, but it may also be third party.

Last edited by Virginian on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you, sir! {hs#

I really, REALLY look forward to the family having their keepsake functioning again and your experience and knowledge are very much appreciated by me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Update:

1) I finally found the moving box my Opti-Loupe headset was in and confirmed that original feed latch had the verrrrrry tip snap clean off (couldn’t have been more than 1/16” to 1/8” of metal!)

2) On the brighter side, the replacement-original feed latch went right in and worked despite it appearing so different from the one that came out.

I used half a dozen factory new Rem Gun Club target loads to fire six 2-shot series (1 in chamber and 1 in mag) and the gun functioned (fired shell # 1 and fed #2 into chamber smoothly) - on the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th set

The shell failed to feed out of the mag tube on the 3rd and 5th set; however; I’m not sure the remaining challenge necessarily lay with the feed latch.

On the other hand, Virginian, your experience and advice is echoing in my head:

Virginian wrote:
... You have to be careful to only bend the end part and retain the original bend further back so the action bars still actuate the latch ...

3) But, before I go bending anything, I am examining the action bars closely and intend to use the troubleshooting section of Kuhnhausen’s manual, step by step if need be.

It is on the top inside of the action bars, just aft of the action sleeve where I have discovered the steel juuuuuust inside and below the top of the rail is “boogered” and indicative of something not being right ... the metal has been displaced enough and is actually sharp enough it will catch your finger as you run your fingertip along the top and inside of that rail ... it’s the little things that can often say so much! (Problem is I am not sure what I’m being told (yet).

In the mean time I thought I’d let any following this know how nicely the feed latch went in, is working intermittently but most of all how much my friend and I appreciate the member(s) of SGW: a) getting the part to us; and, b) helping with valued experience!

Photos attached:

1) #1 pic of orientation of the business end of the successfully installed replacement-original feed latch, - - without any bending of tip yet

2) #2 pic of orientation of the business end of the successfully installed replacement-original feed latch, - - without any bending of tip yet

3) original feed latch with snapped off / broken “tippy tip”

NEXT POST (as there is a 3-photo limit on attachments to each individual post)

4) troubleshooting section out of Kuhnhausen’s Remington 870/1100 Shop Manual

5) “boogered” portion of the one action bar rail that has my eyebrow arched high, with a big two-foot question mark over my head, as I type this! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Additional photos:

4, 5 & 6) different angles of the “boogered” portion of the one action bar rail that has my eyebrow arched high, with a big two-foot question mark over my head, as I type this! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Last photos ...

7) relevant troubleshooting section out of Kuhnhausen’s Remington 870/1100 Shop Manual

8 & 9) Credits (because Msr. Kuhnhausen’s works are copyrighted ... {hs#

Plus, to assist anyone who may want to procure copies of this or any of Msr. Kuhnhausen’s other Shop Manuals, while they are still available (tip: don’t procrastinate!)