ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lengthening a gun stock
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am looking to buy a grade 6 citori with a stock that has been shortened and a pachmayr recoil pad added (looks to be 3/4" or maybe 1") the LOP is said to be 13 7/8" I would like to have the length of pull at 14 1/4" to 14 1/2" at least. It is also worth noting the at the browning poly finish has been removed and an oil finish is currently on the gun.
My questions are:

1. What options do I have to add length to the stock? (no gracoil or morgan type pads)

2. Who would you recommend to do the work? (I live in Michigan but would consider shipping if necessary)

3. How much would the work potentially cost?

Thanks in advance for you input and thoughts.

****My first choice may be to have a wood piece fitted to add length, if that makes sense?

Post subject: Re: Lengthening a gun stock
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

woodcock1 wrote:
1. What options do I have to add length to the stock? (no gracoil or morgan type pads)

Kickeez makes spacers and https://kickeezproducts.com/collections/shooting-accessories/products/spacers pitch spacers https://kickeezproducts.com/collections/shooting-accessories/products/pitch-spacers which may be helpful. If you change the length you may also need to change the pitch.
woodcock1 wrote:

2. Who would you recommend to do the work? (I live in Michigan but would consider shipping if necessary)

If you are going to add length to have it fit you, DO NOT ship it. Set up an appointment with a stock/gun fitter. Depending on where in Michigan you are, you may want to call Michigan Shooting Centers (Pat Lieske is/was a top national shooter) or Pacific Sporting Arm's shop in Michigan and ask if they have someone or can recommend someone.

woodcock1 wrote:
3. How much would the work potentially cost?

Around me what you're talking about is about $200-300 plus the cost of materials.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One way is to add a piece of walnut to the end of the stock. I have done that on several guns. It shows. But it can be made to look pretty good. It would be hard to match the grain of a grade 6 stock, I suspect. But since the stock is already refinished that is an option to consider. Another way is with plastic spacers. All in all I hope you got a pretty good discount for the butchered stock because unless you replace it, it is going to show. I really do not know if you can buy another grade 6 stock set but if I were you I would check. One way might be to leave it like it is if it looks really good and to use a leather slip on pad when you shoot it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:09 am 
Limited Edition

Another option in Michigan is Joe Bowles at Tronspace:

[email protected]

He is excellent at fitting, does his own work, is fast and all at competitive prices.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

I've purchased several guns that had been fitted with pads at too short a length of pull. The way I handled them was to purchase stock spacers from Brownells and epoxy the spacer to the Pachmayer SC-100 or straight Decelerator pad as appropriate, and then just grind the setup to fit the stock like a regular pad.

This is an A H Fox Special 16 ga that I fitted an epoxied tapered space to end up with the correct LOP and pitch to properly fit me. It is hardly detectable unless you know what you're looking for. I used the SC-100 pad that has the no-snag plastic insert at the heel for this bird gun.

Last edited by Riflemeister on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

Another option, although it's a long shot (pun intended), would be to explore getting a replacement stock from Browning.