ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 775A parts and assembly issues
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Okay, don’t laugh....

In these times of home sequestering we think of projects to do to keep us sane.
A neighbor, knowing I do a bit of smithing on my own items asked if I could look at his shotgun. He dropped a Savage 775A off on my door step. What I found was the pieces wrapped up in a blanket. Oh great! A puzzle!!

Now understand that I mostly work on antiques, and pistols at that, so this is completely new to me.

I’ve searched the internet and found Numrich had a schematic but it’s totally unreadable and you cant print it. They want you to buy it. I found you tube videos but all relate to Browning, Remington, or other shotguns but not this one precisely. The parts might be close but that doesn’t help me to know where and how a little spring is supposed to go. I also found an online gunsmithing book but the pictures are terrible and it isn’t complete.

So.....help? I can send pictures via email of the parts I have. I think I’ve figure out most of them but there a few small springs that I’m confused with.

If anyone has experience reassembling this specific shotgun I’d sure appreciate some help/advise. I do believe all the parts are there....but then again.... our internet is slow, but I’m willing to try FaceTime or some such thing.

If you’re stuck at home like me and you want to help - message me and I’ll send you my email.

Thanks.
Hilldweller
Ridgefield, WA

Post subject: Re: Savage 775A parts and assembly issues
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had a drawing several years ago. And a link with a boat load of diagrams for guns.

Also search for the 755a as well, like 1100 and 1187 some parts, not all, interchange. It may help put things in context. Quick search found some stuff on eBay. Labeled 755/775

If I find the drawing I will post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Delaware.
I’ve searched eBay, Brownells, Numrich,MidwayUSA,ebay, and others. if you do find that picture I’d really appreciate you posting it. Or if you like you could scan it to a .pdf file and email it to me. PM for contact info.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 pm 
Crown Grade

The Gun Digest book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part V: Shotguns, 2nd Edition, pages 366-374 has detailed disassembly and reassembly instructions with photos for the Savage Model 755. The same steps apply to the Model 775A and several other Savage models. Unfortunately, a schematic is not included.

Since the Savage Models 720 thru 775SC were based on the long recoil system of the Browning Auto 5 (as was the Remington Model 11), you may want to do an internet search and view the video, Basic Firearms Disassembly #5 - Remington Model 11 (Browning Auto 5) on youtube. The Remington Model 11 Disassemble and Reassemble video by Double Aught2A on youtube is also worthwhile viewing. Although the Model 720 was based on the Auto 5, later Savage long recoil operated models employed some distinctive Savage components, the trigger group being one such.

Let us know when you get the puzzle put together!

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks doppelflinten I’ll do a search on that book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Well.......with all this time on my hands I have done a lot of internet searching.

For those who are interested I did find a version (first?) of the book Gun Digest #5 online at Archive.org. Search on the book and look for their name in the headers. It’s free to view. This pages for this shotgun start on page 938.

I did manage too figure out the puzzle and get it reassembled. Of course I had one spring left! What’s new...... found a picture of it on eBay as part of the locking bolt latch/spring/pin assembly. Part of the bolt which was installed when I got the gun. Now I’m faced with pulling the thing fully apart to try and figure out how it’s installed. Ugggg!

Any professional gunsmiths in Southwest Washington interested in helping? :) Happy to stand 10 feet away from ya!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:20 am 
Utility Grade

Hello, I have been in the process of restoring a savage 775a and photo-documenting the process. Like you, I have found the amount of resources and information on them quite limited.

I managed to find a full takedown video on youtube that has since been deleted but I am, familiar enough with the firearm that I should be able to help you get the gun taken down.

Here is a photo of mine mostly taken down

~Retro

Last edited by Curly N on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
images retrieved from listed link and posted inline

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 am 
Utility Grade

https://imgur.com/a/JUGSKIi
Here are some photos of the bolt out of the shotgun