ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "UNporting"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Often when looking through the brokers for used OUs, I see what might be a very desirable gun that's been rendered undesirable by a previous owner when they ported it.

So is there any reasonable (or for arguments sake, unreasonable) method of filling those slots/holes/teardrops? Never heard of it, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth the cost.

Post subject: Re: "UNporting"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:16 pm 
Crown Grade

It would take welding and then rebluing, assuming they didn't mess up the barrels.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No there isn't.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

I have a 525 Citori that came with factory porting. I had it fitted with a Kolar sub gauge tube set and shoot the 20 ga tubes for 12 or 20 ga skeet. I also like having the 28 ga and 410 tubes for when I just want to shoot something different. No more trying to clean the powder fouling out of all those tiny slots.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Unporting is simple, it just takes an Abrasive Cutoff Saw or a Hacksaw and a steady hand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have the barrel(s) threaded for choke tubes of a length sufficient to occlude the port holes. Boom! Problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 am 
Diamond Grade

I don’t think there is a cost effective way of getting rid of ports. I’ve avoided them and passed on several shotguns that had them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

new at this and curious. Why are ported barrels less desirable? I have read the arguments for, but not against.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

never mind,
found a post about ported chokes that pretty much explained it.
doesn't do much if anthing for pattern.
Cost more than non porte option either in barrel or choke.
Makes thing much louder, not a good thing in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

Hacksaw. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

eric..."Have the barrel(s) threaded for choke tubes of a length sufficient to occlude the port holes. Boom! Problem solved."

I am not in the market, but...your suggestion seems logical. What might be the cost of the re-threading and the purchase of the new choke tubes?

Would those costs wipe out any gain in the purchase of a ported, unloved gun?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buy a new set of un-ported barrels and sell the ported ones to someone who thinks that they’re great

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

richg99 wrote:
eric..."Have the barrel(s) threaded for choke tubes of a length sufficient to occlude the port holes. Boom! Problem solved."

I am not in the market, but...your suggestion seems logical. What might be the cost of the re-threading and the purchase of the new choke tubes?

No clue what the cost would be. Might be better to cut the barrels off and have regular tubes put in. Just spitballin’.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:10 pm 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:

Probably. Briley could tell you what it would cost.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 am 
Diamond Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
Often when looking through the brokers for used OUs, I see what might be a very desirable gun that's been rendered undesirable by a previous owner when they ported it.

So is there any reasonable (or for arguments sake, unreasonable) method of filling those slots/holes/teardrops? Never heard of it, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth the cost.

Actually to properly answer this, the discounted price for the gun being damaged would have to be far lower than market value of an unmolested example of the same. Far enough below to justify the expense and bother to rectify the modification. To me, the gun has little value and would be simply a tinkering oddity. For that, I would hold my bid to about 10% of market value, which might, after making changes, still be too much.