ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old CIL (Mossberg) 12G, auto saftey to manual safety
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey,

I have an old CIL 12guage (looks like a re-branded Mossberg 500) and it has the auto safety feature which engages after each shot.

(Yes, I'm aware of the pros & cons of the feature and its controversy, thanks)

Could someone please provide info on how to change this to a manual operation?

It would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Old CIL (Mossberg) 12G, auto saftey to manual safety
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have a pump action shotgun that sets the safety to ON after every shot??? Never heard of that. Why would anyone want a shotgun like that? I wouldn't think any manufacturer would make a gun like that, but some people have strange tastes I guess.

Anyway, what I would do is remove the buttstock, if you can, and with the gun empty, cycle the slide back and forth and dryfire it. Then watch the safety switch inside the receiver as you pump the slide and you should be able to see some wire or metal bar that moves the safety to the ON position. That's the piece you'll have to deactivate by cutting or removing it. Just be sure the piece doesn't have some other function too before disabling or removing it.

EDIT: I just did some quick research on this old gun. I think you are mistaken about the safety issue. The problem is that after each shot, you need to push/nudge the pump handle FORWARD slightly before pulling it rearward. This is to unlock the action. During the shooting of live rounds, this process usually takes care of itself if you're holding the forend slide with a firm grip. OTOH, if you're limp-wristing it, it won't unlock unless you push forward on the forend slide. Then you can pump the slide and load another round into the chamber.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Ulysses wrote:
You have a pump action shotgun that sets the safety to ON after every shot??? Never heard of that. Why would anyone want a shotgun like that? I wouldn't think any manufacturer would make a gun like that, but some people have strange tastes I guess.

Anyway, what I would do is remove the buttstock, if you can, and with the gun empty, cycle the slide back and forth and dryfire it. Then watch the safety switch inside the receiver as you pump the slide and you should be able to see some wire or metal bar that moves the safety to the ON position. That's the piece you'll have to deactivate by cutting or removing it. Just be sure the piece doesn't have some other function too before disabling or removing it.

Thanks.
I took it apart and it looks like the detent ball is missing ( or I lost it) so the act of racking the slide causes the safety to move.
I'll replace the ball (have to order one I guess) and try again.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Phased1 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

Thanks.
I took it apart and it looks like the detent ball is missing ( or I lost it) so the act of racking the slide causes the safety to move.
I'll replace the ball (have to order one I guess) and try again.
Thanks

Well that was one way to become very intimate with the internals of this shotgun, LOL.
I tried replacing the missing ball with a #5 steel shot but it's too big for this old gun and it doesn't sit on the spring. So the safety doesn't move at all.
On the good size the "auto on" feature is gone so it was just the safety moving slightly.
I don't know how old this gun is but I had read the #5 steel shot would work in a Mossberg 500. Maybe this vintage used smaller or is a different make? Makes we hesitant to order a replacement if it won't work.
Anyone know if your tell from the serial number its age?
Model 674TD Canadian Industries Limited, Montreal, Canada, G357493
Thanks