ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zoli Trigger Problem Help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:56 pm 
Field Grade

Today while shooting my Zoli Verona LX980, with the bottom barrel set to fire first when I pulled the trigger there was a click as usual, but the gun would not fire. Sometimes I could pull the trigger repeatedly and it would fire on the second or third time. With the gun set for the top barrel to fire first, there was no problem, and the bottom barrel would always fire on the second trigger pull. Problem only occurred with the bottom barrel set to fire first.

I made sure that I was opening the gun completely when reloading.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Zoli Trigger Problem Help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Your Sear engagement lever needs to be either reworked if there is enough metal left on it, or may have to be replaced and reworked it to run a tube set.

Down and dirty, the lever has center flat in the middle and two lower flats on the side. The sear middle ledge will come set flat, and will require enough recoil inertia to dance the lever back, to reset it to allow for the second barrel to be fired.

When the gun is set up for a tube set, the middle tab of the lever is given a slight angle, so as you shoot the first barrel in say 410, the lever will slip off the first barrel's hammer sear, and reset itself without needed enertia from the gun to reset the trigger for the second barrel.

So what is going on, is that when you pull the trigger, isntead of it lifting the bottom hammer sear lever upwards to release the hammer, the center tab of the engagement lever is slipping off the end of the hammer sear lever end before it can release the hammer. Also to point out, the center flat is for the first barrel, and depending on which way the selector is set, it uses that side of the center flat. So the center flat is not worn all the way across, but just on the bottom barrel side of the center flat (why it not having a problem when you select top barrel first).

If your in the Denver area, I can get you squared away, but if not, then need to talk to Coles to have them rework and install a new Sear engagement lever for tube set.
https://colegun.com/

Also a FYI, but since the sear engagement lever is a cast part, once you do reset the center tab and side tabs (get through the case hardening layer), really need to re-heat treat the part with kasenit so the surfaces do not wear out rapidly. Hence this is a step missed by some smiths, and why the "reworked for tubes" sear engagement lever wear out prematurely.

The sear engagement lever is the silver part coming up from the back of the trigger, and is between the gold hammer sear levers and the gold enertia block.
If you look closely at the photo, can see the center flat that will raise the back of hammer sear lever to release the hammer when you pull the trigger, and its that center angle flat that is worn on one side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:29 pm 
Field Grade

Dano523 Thanks for the excellent explanation of the problem. Your explanation makes perfect sense as the previous owner mentioned that the trigger had been reworked to allow it to work with .410 tubes. I pulled the trigger group out of the gun and it does look like the part you mentioned has been modified.

Could this be fixed sending just the trigger group in for repair, or would I need to send in the whole gun?

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 am 
Crown Grade

Normally, just need the trigger pack, but give Coles a call to see if they want just the trigger pack, or if they want the entire gun.
Trustfully, since you do have a worn lever, would just send the entire gun into them to be serviced as well.

The lever springs goes weak, the firing pin stop collar either peen or crack, and there are some other spring that may be need of changing too. On my Z sport, tend to go through the gun every 30K with complete strip down of all parts, and most of the time, hand full of springs that get changed out from them going weak to begin with in that time frame.

If you need the parts diagram, but would not be in a rush to pull the receiver apart without someone that knows the receiver's help, since there are lot of small pieces that will lose if you don't know how to block them in as you pull parts.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xb1u0ow4ydtn03o