ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 20 gauge Sportsman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Good afternoon.

I have a 20 gauge Remington 1187. I lost the bolt handle about a month ago. I did some research and found out that I could replace the bolt handle with a Briley. The Briley handle said for 12 gauge but after talking to several people they said it will fit so i bought it.

When I got it, it popped right in and fit perfectly,!!

The detent ball seated properly and you could hear it snap in. The handle was nice & tight.
After that I tried to work the action, But it would not budge. I took the bolt handle out and flipped it over, At this time the detent space is on the top & the detent ball is on the bottom which is completely incorrect,
Yet it works perfectly, this way???
But I can feel the bolt handle is a little bit loose in my hand due to the detent ball not being seated & just pressing against the flat side,because the detent space is on the opposite side now.
I looked with a flashlight and gave it a real good looking over, It looks as if the bolt handle just slides into the space and I can see no reason whatsoever that the action would not operate if the handle is put in the proper way..But it doesnt??
If anybody could give me a little feedback as the what my issue may be it would be much appreciated..

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: 11-87 20 gauge Sportsman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like the operating handle is a bit too long and is protruding thru the action bar assembly and dragging hard on the opposite side. Cut off a 32nd of an inch or so with a file or grinder.