ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 311 12 vs 20 gauge iron
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can anyone tell me if the 12 or 20 gauge forend iron will interchange ? Or if I can use 315 iron on a 311?

Post subject: Re: Savage 311 12 vs 20 gauge iron
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Just for everyone else information. We had a 20gauge, a 16 and a .410 all come into the shop recently. They weren’t even all true 311’s my 12 and another 12 already there were J.c. Higgins brand 311’s. The .410 I can’t remember which model but it was a slightly fancier 311 with checkering and a roll engraving of a pointer on the side. The 20 gauge was a later model 311 not sure which but it had the more square forend iron. What we found by trying the different forend irons on all the different gauges was they all worked on any gauge. The frames are all pretty much the same even the .410. The 12 gauge barrels will fit on the 410 but won’t work since the .410 doesn’t have the chamber ears that stick out like the larger gauges. But as far as the forend iron they all Interchange. The wood would need to be changed or opened up for some of the smaller gauges to work on the larger gauges but it’s doable. Even the square style iron works in place of the round style it just sticks out more and looks kinda goofy. But if that was all you could find it looks like there is enough metal to reshape it and reblue it to make it work. Now in all my searching I have noticed there’s other versions of forend iron out there. Apparently some of the later ones were aluminum and there was a later two piece version. So I have not seen and tried them all but it seems most will interchange with a little fitting involved sometimes. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Post subject: Re: Savage 311 12 vs 20 gauge iron
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:58 pm 
Utility Grade

One thing I have noticed about the 311's is the barrels are not interchangable. The firing pins do not line up , and the "ears" are slightly different, The 12 ga.pins are 1 3/16 apart , the 16 ga are 1 1/8 apart , and the 20ga are 1 " apart. Questions have been .raised about the top locking snap. On this model , fully locked is to the far left .Anything from the right of the middle is a slight open position. I prefer the middle position , and it can be adjusted by peening the bottom portion of the u shaped rail that extends from the end of the barrels ,And then filing it at a 45 degree angle from left to right ,uphill , until it fits where you want it. This is your choice , and I do not recommend it .Many of these guns have the snap to the right of the "s" The model 24 and 242 have a totally different lockup system .I am not a locksmith ,just my experience.