ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pinned Stock Loosening
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi All, looking for some guidance on how to address a loosening pin in a stock.  Appears that this stock developed an internal crack a long time ago and someone pinned the stock.  Well that fix lasted a long time.  But now seems that the pin has let go a bit.

So, I’d like to tackle rectifying the issue again.  This will be my first attempt at work like this.  I obtained this gun knowing that I need to put some elbow grease into it.  And knowing this will be my first time working on a gun in this manner.  It’s not a high value gun and I’d like to get some experience in this.

Please see the pic(s) for reference.

Anyone have ideas on if should add more pins?  Replace the existing pin with a larger pin?  Other thoughts?

Or can you point me to a video or instructions online?  My cursory search didn’t turn up much.

Thanks!

Oh, this won’t be an heirloom. I’d like it to be functional. For what I got the gun for it’s not worth it to me to send it out to a pro....it really was meant for me to learn some basic restoration items. Like fixing this stock, refinish the stock, tearing apart the action cleaning/oiling/greasing, removing rust from barrels, re-blueing, etc...it’ll either be a learning experience for me (I love to get my hands dirty) or if I screw it up...a wall hanger...

Post subject: Re: Pinned Stock Loosening
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I would heavily wax the outside of the wood (not buffing the wax until the repair is finished), then slightly dig out/widen the crack, inside the inletting only.

Once that's done, work some 2-part epoxy into the crack and squeeze the front of the stock in a padded bench vise - letting the epoxy cure overnight..

Any excess epoxy inside the inletting can be removed, and any squeeze out on the exposed/waxed surface should also be easily removed.

If the wood's shrunk, any end of the pin that's exposed during squeezing would also need to be shortened.

Squeeze the stock in the vise before applying epoxy, and if the pin end(s) are exposed, shorten the pin while it's in the vise - before completing the repair.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A staple repair would fix that up nicely. It could also use a complete check on the wood to metal fit as part of the repair.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=307458

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm 
Crown Grade

A staple might work right in the end. I'd use Acruglass [ SP ? ] from Brownells first. That or Tite Bond II wood glue from HD. You could also add some new pins. If the pin is set down in the wood leaving room to put a counter bevel a top of it and make the opening not round, but use some small needle files on the edge so when epoxy and sawdust is added you won't see a round circle. That and a scribe to put lines in to look like the grain will help hide the fix. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 am 
Tournament Grade

One option is to drill from the front and back in the crack using a long 1/4 inch drill bit and then Fill the hole with epoxy or non expanding polyurethane glue. Then use a 1/4 inch walnut dowel rod to plunge the glue in the hole and that will push it through the crack. Keep adding glue in the hole and pushing it with the dowel until it comes out the crack. Then cut the dowel off flush in the hole and let dry while you clamp it. Do this from both ends and you should be able to get glue to completely penetrate the crack and it should last a very long time.