ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing forearm wood on Winchester model 12..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:20 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 1939 field gradeWinchester Model 12. Poly choke gun, its been well used, but still in decent shape. I LOVE the Poly Choke! Works perfectly!! I am not original owner,but slowly, this gun has become a favorite of mine..

The forearm wood I believe was replaced a long time ago. The butt stock is not checkered, but the forearm is the "Delux" checkered beaver tail, instead of what I believe it should have,, a corn cob or grooved forearm.

Whats involved replacing this? I THINK I can fine a used replacement, and if lucky, have it somewhat match the butt stock color.

Is it more work,than the end result gain? Absolutly nothing wrong with the way the gun is now.The forearm color and grain match the butt stock perfectly... I just think the grooved forearm would look more correct..

Thanks in Advance!! I will do the work myself, unless information gained, makes me decide to leave well enough alone.. I will have to purchase any necessary special tools et..

Post subject: Re: Replacing forearm wood on Winchester model 12..
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm pretty sure that the magazine tube has to be unscrewed from the receiver & removed before removing the old forearm/slide assembly.

Once the forearm/slide is removed, the slide cap can be unscrewed and the wood replaced on the slide.

Re-assemble in reverse order.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First purchase the tool to take the fore end retainer nut off. Midway USA and Brownells have them. The fore end change will be worth it if you like it better that way. One good thing is that the corn cob fore end is lighter in weight than the one on there now. I like the balance of the gun better for field use with it. I have a 12 gauge corn cob fore end in nice condition that I would part with if you do not find one. I think from a 50's gun. I do not know how it would differ from your year model but I think it will fit fine. I found a Winchester trap fore end and made a built up trap configuration of my 12 gauge model 12.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:20 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you Bill M. I will keep your offer in mind. I think for the year of gun I have, I need a 18 groove foreend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have one in my parts stash. I might also have an extra fore end wrench. Let me know if you’re interested.