ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with refinished Auto-5
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:58 pm 
Field Grade

Hello Gents,

Well, thanks to the amazing posts over the years by Jeff Mull, I've completed re-finishing and checking on a Japanese "Magnum 12" from the early 1980's. I'm very pleased with the outcome. I've hit a snag, however, that has me stymied - The stock will not fit back on the receiver far enough to permit the tang screw to engage the threads. It comes up short by a tiny amount - perhaps 1/64 or 1/100 of an inch. It's taken me a lot of very careful sanding to get to this point, and oddly, it seems the stock is buried against the receiver and can't go any further, yet the screw hole in the stock grip doesn't line-up closely enough with the threads in the tang to allow engagement. Maddening! I've already done a lot of careful sanding and it seems the only solution is to remove more wood from where the stock touches the receiver. I remain extremely hesitant to do that, however. Any input would be truly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!

Brad

Post subject: Re: Help with refinished Auto-5
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

This is the original stock?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

My model 11 swelled after refinishing it and I had the same problem. Is there a metal bushing going through the wood ? On mine I elongated the hole, placed the bushing forward and back filled with glue and sawdust mix. Maybe 1/16 of an inch but that’s all it took.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:55 pm 
Field Grade

Hi Crown Grade,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the stock is original, and no, there is no metal bushing in the screw hole within the stock. That's a very interesting solution! I find it so hard to believe it could have swelled enough to cause this issue, but here I am! I very well might be forced to employ that solution. It's so maddening - I went through a horrible struggle removing that awful epoxy finish, then many hours re-cutting the checkering, then 34 coats of Jeff Mull's finish recipe with 6 wet sandings interspersed with those coats. The stock is a very strange piece of wood with a crazy amount of sapwood, but I'm extremely pleased with the results. To invest so much and not be able to fit the stock back to the gun is just maddening! I'm at least pleased to hear that it's not "just me!"
What did you use to elongate the hole - a small round file or a small dowel wrapped in sandpaper? How about for the metal bushing? Hoping it's something I can just pick up at Home Depot or Lowe's . . .
My sincere thanks again. Hoping to get this gun out on Chesapeake Bay this winter and very anxious to get it done so I can pattern it!

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Look carefully at the edges of your inletting on the stock. I think you will find the finish you used has gone over the edge of the inletting. Carefully scrape All finish from inside of the inletted surfaces and I believe your stock will fit just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:10 pm 
Field Grade

Hi fecmech,

I appreciate your reply but I past that point weeks ago - there is no issue with the inletting. The stock "buries" tight up against the receiver and cannot go forward any more. At this point the issue seems to be the exact same thing that Crown Grade experienced with his Model 11.