ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LC Smith - Project - Resistance when opening...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:10 pm 
Field Grade

So I'm finally getting to rebuilding an old 12ga Field FW Ser. 47xxx This will be a Frankenstein gun, not show piece.

I had to machine 'new to me' firing pins. Upon purchase, they would not fit. I basically
machined them until what seemed like the right amount would protrude through the breech.

Before I go further on woodwork etc.. I want to be sure this thing will fire. after assembling the gun, receiver, barrels & forearm and moving the top lever to open the gun, the gun opens slightly, then I experience resistance about 1/4 way into the opening process. Not grinding, but kind of a spring led resistance. Obviously I stop and close the gun up again. Forgot to mention, all else is original. Forearm etc...

Any thoughts as to what this resistance could be? I can cock the receiver levers fine without the forearm on.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this would be great.