ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Browning BPS Goes Click
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Just picked up a Browning BPS 12 gauge pump in excellent like new condition. Have put about 125 rounds through her until it went “click.” I can cycle dummy shells through her no problem. Thing is it won’t fire live rounds and the trigger has remained depressed since the first click. I was thinking firing pin, but the recessed trigger has me thrown. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: My Browning BPS Goes Click
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:58 pm 
Crown Grade

You or a gunsmith is going to have to take it apart. More than likely, just dirty or a broken/bent part.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

I am going to guess something broke internally. I have a 20 year old 20ga BPS that has done nothing but go boom for the 15 years I hunted with it for everything but deer. It has been retired as a back up to my A5.

Is it a new one?

They are not hard to take apart.... but, if something falls apart inside. It might be better if a gunsmith or Browning has it happen to them. Especially if you aren't comfortable doing it.

Sorry I am not of more help. Best of luck. Keep us updated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Any decent gunsmith should be able to fix it. The trick is reassembling it after removing the trigger group because the parts want to fall into the receiver. If you get some 0.002" shim material it's pretty easy to shoehorn everything bak in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

You may want to take a look at these videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53RqMXgEclQ&ab_channel=Brownells%2CInc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

My guess is the hammer broke, that's why the trigger won't reset...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Look at the videos , take your time

Ive had my ithacas apart for 40 years, same patent

the BPS has an extra part to put back in , but not too difficult, if you find something broken,then a smith may be needed, if not, now you know how to take it apart to clean

good luck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks. Took it apart to see if I could figure it out. Nothing out of the ordinary, but now I can’t reassemble it because the trigger group won’t go back in. Spent almost 5 hours looking at worthless Brownell and other videos to try and reassemble it. Worst piece of crap I’ve ever owned. My plan is to get iit to a gunsmith and then sell it ASAP. Worthless.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Boneyard1977 wrote:
Thanks. Took it apart to see if I could figure it out. Nothing out of the ordinary, but now I can’t reassemble it because the trigger group won’t go back in. Spent almost 5 hours looking at worthless Brownell and other videos to try and reassemble it. Worst piece of crap I’ve ever owned. My plan is to get iit to a gunsmith and then sell it ASAP. Worthless.

I had four different Browning BPSs and never missed a beat. I did not care for the bottom feed/ ejection, but they are one of the best and most robust of shotgun designs around.
I am guessing you did not find what the original problem was, either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:02 pm 
Field Grade

Did you look at the Browning forum BPS sticky?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:25 am 
Limited Edition

Boneyard1977 wrote:

They are tricky to get everything back in but once you figure it out you can do it very quickly.

If you are to the point in reassembly where you are putting the shell catch bars back in, once you get them in move the action about a 1/4 to 1/2” forward with the pump, just enough to hold them in place while you get the trigger group partially slid in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

You can also wedge a spacer in t hold the bars and pop in the trigger group. Not being adept enough to reassemble something doesn’t make something a piece of crap.