ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori stock bolt won't loosen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello all,

I am trying to remove my 1995 Citori Hunter Grade I 3.5" stock. It is too short for my uses [13.5" I think, with pad- my thumb hits my nose when shooting].

I have removed/replaced stocks before, so this isn't all THAT new.

However, I've never disassembled a Citori.

I have a slotted screwdriver that has worked just fine in the past. However, I am not getting any luck in breaking it free.

Before I put the butt/receiver in a padded vise and try to really torque it off, was there some special assembly trick they used to lock it together?

I don't want to damage ANYTHING, but I want to swap stocks to one that fits [and I have the new one all ready].

Any special tips?

I contemplated pouring some Kroil into the hole to work its' magic, but I don't like adding oil to wood in that area, as I don't want to soften it more than necessary.

thanks for any suggestions you provide.

Post subject: Re: Citori stock bolt won't loosen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:22 pm 
Crown Grade

My Gti was like that - someone at the factory used red loctite; used a long screwdriver and a cheater bar - wound up cracking the stock so be VERY careful.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I've used tightening the bolt slightly, putting a screw driver on the bolt and tapping the screw driver, and using a square shank screw driver and putting a wrench on it. All three have worked at some time or other. Try to use a screw driver that matches and completely fills the slot in the stock bolt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:07 am 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
My Gti was like that - someone at the factory used red loctite; used a long screwdriver and a cheater bar - wound up cracking the stock so be VERY careful.

Hmm.

Well, I don't want to crack the stock. However, if I do, I am replacing it anyway, as it is too short, so that is always the final and ultimate option.

albanygun wrote:
I've used tightening the bolt slightly, putting a screw driver on the bolt and tapping the screw driver, and using a square shank screw driver and putting a wrench on it. All three have worked at some time or other. Try to use a screw driver that matches and completely fills the slot in the stock bolt.

I will have to go to door number two and continue this process.

I had [had] a 1/4" Craftsman Pro screwdriver that was about an 11 or 12" shaft. It was a little loose, but the 3/8" ones I have would need to be ground down.

I braced the stock and carefully inserted the screwdrive tonight [between first post and now].

I slowly took up the slack in the slot until it was pressed against the sides, and gently increased the pressure until I twisted as hard as I could, and then the tip of the screwdriver snapped off.

I wonder if Lowes' handles Craftsman warrenties?

No wrenches on the hex shaft [not a round shaft], but just my good ole' hands taking up all slack, pressing down to keep it engaged, and gently increasing pressure on the twist until 'snap' went the screwdriver.

Oh Snap. :lol:

Back to drawing board.

I will try to call my local 'smith and see if he has any ideas. We only have one 'real' gunsmith in the area [actual graduate of gunsmithing school], and I hope he might have a more specialized driver/system to crack the bolt loose and bring it out.

I'll try one or two more ideas though.

I wish I had an impact socket that would fit in that hole. I have a hand impact driver with a flat blade tip, but the adapter is too fat for the hole in the stock.

thanks- keep the ideas coming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:52 am 
Limited Edition

Use a 1/4" drive impact driver and suitable extensions and a good friend to hold the stock...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:06 am 
Diamond Grade

People that break their stocks usually have the screw driver between the wood and the screw head.
Ace is a dealer Craftsman and should warranty your screwdriver.
Get the right size screw driver, with a square shank while you are there.
If you have a vice and some leather, think old belts, or cut up shoes, put the protected receiver in the vice.
If you have some 1/2" emt or similar tubing sliding over the screw driver shank will keep the blade in the slot.
After all of the above, put an adjustable wrench on the square shank to add leverage and turn.
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.
An impact driver sounds like a nightmare to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As others have said, you need the right size screwdriver tip... one that fills the slot completely. It sounds like the one that you broke did not fill the slot. You may need to file a larger one down to size.

Here's an idea. If you have an old L-shaped automobile lug wrench, the end of the long leg on the wrench is like a screwdriver blade which is used to pop off the hub cap. Take one of these lug wrenches and see if it will fit the slotted stock bolt. It will probably be too big to fit into the slot. That's where the filing work comes into play.

Just file it down until it fits snugly into the slot. Then, with the stock firmly braced in a padded vise, you can use it like a large screwdriver with a built in lever on the end to help turn it.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

railroad wrote:
People that break their stocks usually have the screw driver between the wood and the screw head.
Ace is a dealer Craftsman and should warranty your screwdriver.
Get the right size screw driver, with a square shank while you are there.
If you have a vice and some leather, think old belts, or cut up shoes, put the protected receiver in the vice.
If you have some 1/2" emt or similar tubing sliding over the screw driver shank will keep the blade in the slot.
After all of the above, put an adjustable wrench on the square shank to add leverage and turn.
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.
An impact driver sounds like a nightmare to me.

My screwdriver was in the slot perfectly tight. I had a vise grip on the handle to act like a lever. Cracked through the wrist

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks All,

I am going to look for a couple of flat bladed sockets, so I can use an extension and breaker bar.

I have done this a few times [well, at least 8] on other shotguns and rifles, but never had this issue. So, I have a learning experience! :P

These tips and advice help.

I appreciate the comments about being sure it doesn't slide between bolt and stock. That is something I've done, but caught myself before adding any real pressure [on a Savage 99].

I'll keep everyone updated, but it will probably not be until Saturday that I can next really apply myself to trying to remove this.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bailey Boat wrote:
Use a 1/4" drive impact driver and suitable extensions and a good friend to hold the stock...

+1. An impact driver nearly always works for me to remove stubborn bolts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Kroil? Desperate times require desperate measures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use a small “drag link” socket . Long extension and ratchet for stubborn bolts. The round body keeps the socket centered and the hollow ground bit doesn’t jump out of the slot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most of the guns Rod Gates of Jordan takes down are old doubles that use flat screwdrivers.

But for modern draw bolt guns, he keeps an old lug wrench in his shop.

He holds the gun stock between his knees and the lug wrench can loosen the tightest bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:08 am 
Tournament Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
Most of the guns Rod Gates of Jordan takes down are old doubles that use flat screwdrivers.

But for modern draw bolt guns, he keeps an old lug wrench in his shop.

He holds the gun stock between his knees and the lug wrench can loosen the tightest bolts.

I'll have to look around for one of those.

My lug wrench is a star wrench with 4 sockets on the ends- no pry section to pop a cover off.

I haven't had one of those since I sold my '75 Malibu.

hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 am 
Presentation Grade

If you don’t want the original stock cut it off just aft of the bold where you can see what you are doing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:02 am 
Tournament Grade

dutch7373 wrote:
If you don’t want the original stock cut it off just aft of the bold where you can see what you are doing

That is an option I've considered.

However, IF possible, I'd like to save the stock.

Yet- that is always my obi-wan backup moment. If NOTHING else works, 'my only hope'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:11 am 
Crown Grade

captjsjr, do you have a part number for that drag link socket? I looked for it some time back but could not determine the exact size and I didn't want to buy several just to maybe get the right size. TIA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:16 am 
Field Grade

Every time I read one of these threads I wonder why Browning used the slotted screw head bolt instead of a hex head bolt . . that would be much easier to get a secure hold on with a socket, extension, and ratchet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:

:x That should be good for at least twenty lashes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Wrap tape around two sections of the screw driver to fill the void between driver and stock. One is low just above the blade. The second just below the butt. You want a tight fit to the bore.