ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Citori stock bolt won't loosen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

captjsjr, do you have a part number for that drag link socket? I looked for it some time back but could not determine the exact size and I didn't want to buy several just to maybe get the right size. TIA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

Thanks for the tips. I finally got it off.

After breaking 2 screwdrivers [craftsman, but not thick enough on blades], and bending one of the hollow ground blades I ordered [probably was too thin also], I finally broke down, selected an older heavy duty square shaft screwdriver and then proceeded to dress down/file the tip until it was like a hollow ground and thin enough to fit in.

I was able to remove the stock with no damage [thankfully no loctite was used].

After getting the bolt/stock off, I then did a few more passes with the file until the sides of the tip were a better fit and the tip would go all the way to the bottom of the groove, instead of 2/3 of the way down.

I then etched 'Citori and other stocks' on the shaft, and I'll keep it in my dedicated gunsmithing toolbox.

Thanks again for all of the tips!

Now, I just need to take the time to slowly fit the new stock to the frame, for the right [and snug] mating.

The old stock is fine, but I'd need to add 1.4" of spacer to the stock and THEN a new buttpad to make it fit me like my new stock does.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Stop, Go slow... Cut a piece of pipe to fit around the stock bolt. Sacrifice a screw driver to fit slot. Get a piece of steel rod long enough to to exit stock about 2", heat rod to red place on the bolt head and try the screw driver again. Two man job if you don't have a good vise and stock jig. Heat loosens the locktite.
I have 4-5 screw drivers the have been ground, cut and reground many times [yard sales]. Patience is needed, took 3 months to remove stuck chokes without ruining anything.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think I would take this as an opportunity to do what should have been done in the first place.

Replace the old bolt with a hex head bolt. No more similar issues in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

albanygun wrote:
captjsjr, do you have a part number for that drag link socket? I looked for it some time back but could not determine the exact size and I didn't want to buy several just to maybe get the right size. TIA

You'll need an 11/16" drag link socket. Here's one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J5244-8-Inch-16-Inch/dp/B002GK9H4W
You may need to thin the end to fit the slot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:24 am 
Tournament Grade

richg99 wrote:
I think I would take this as an opportunity to do what should have been done in the first place.

Replace the old bolt with a hex head bolt. No more similar issues in the future.

The problem with hex head bolts is that they, often, lead to overtightening by those that don't know better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FnErter wrote:
richg99 wrote:

The problem with hex head bolts is that they, often, lead to overtightening by those that don't know better.

BINGO! Unless you have arms like King Kong, it's pretty hard to overtighten the slotted head stock bolt unless you are really trying to do so.

OTOH, once you stick a socket on a hex head bolt and then start turning/cranking on the lever handle, then you greatly multiply the turning force that's exerted on the bolt. With a screwdriver with a large handle, the length of the turning lever is one-half the diameter of the handle (perhaps 1/2"). With a 6" handle on your ratchet wrench, your turning lever is about 5" to 6" which is 10 to 12 times greater than it is with a screwdriver.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.