ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 471 silver hawk problems.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:12 am 
Utility Grade

Hi, I have a beautiful English stock 471 in 12 ga with single selective trigger and choke tubes. It does however have an ongoing issue, in that it doesn’t set the second barrel when you fire the first. You can however select it manually and it will fire. Doesn’t seem to be shell related as I have had it happen randomly with different loads. I have also been careful to shoulder it well before firing. The trigger group is spotlessly clean and the inertia spring is not broken. Any ideas would be appreciated as this is my baby and hate that it doesn’t function right.
Massey

Post subject: Re: Beretta 471 silver hawk problems.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to the forum Massey. I have a 471 and have never had a problem like that. Do you have a competent gunsmith near you? Too nice a SxS to get get working correctly.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:34 am 
Utility Grade

No one local with a lot of experience with beretta 471. Also from what I can tell trigger setup is different from beretta overunders that many are familiar with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

I have two Beretta SXS's that are in the same family as yours but I can't be of help with that specific problem. Hopefully you already know this but it is worth repeating. Gunsmith have specialties just like any other professionals. Be sure you take it to a smith that is familiar with sxs double guns, preferably Berettas. Your rifle guy might be cracker Jack rebarreling rifles but may not know squat about double guns.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Have you ever had the ejector/extractor selector move back to eject when you select extract?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:36 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are asking me, I don't know. Neither of my Berettas have ejectors. I do have two guns with ejectors but they don't have a switch that lets you go from ejector to extractor. I wish they did as that's a nice feature. The 471 is the only gun I know of that does.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Don't know your location? Coles is excellent, both locations. Look up beretta dealers with a gunsmith. Mitch Schultz is also excellent. Any Beretta Gallery near you?
Try blowing out the action with air or computer air. Sometimes too much oil.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Massey wrote:
Hi, I have a beautiful English stock 471 in 12 ga with single selective trigger and choke tubes. It does however have an ongoing issue, in that it doesn’t set the second barrel when you fire the first. You can however select it manually and it will fire. Doesn’t seem to be shell related as I have had it happen randomly with different loads. I have also been careful to shoulder it well before firing. The trigger group is spotlessly clean and the inertia spring is not broken. Any ideas would be appreciated as this is my baby and hate that it doesn’t function right.
Massey

Maybe it's a question of shooting light loads. My 470 turns into a single shot when shooting Winchester AA Low Recoil Low Noise (AA12FL8), 26 grams at 980fps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:23 am 
Field Grade

Massey: I have a friend who had the same problem with his 20ga 471. The 471 has a unique linkage between the inertia block and hammer, using a connector to the sear. In my friends case it was apparently the connector -inertia block interface that was the problem. As suggested here, Coles or Beretta are your best options.