ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/U safety issue
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:48 am 
Utility Grade

I got a new Tri Star Setter 28 ga from my sons for Christmas. As the first shotgun my kids have ever bought me, I cherish it. Problem is the safety has prohibited a couple of shots on birds during the first couple of times of use. Specifically, it appears that when I disengage the safety (top tang), I also move the barrel selector enough that the safety won't disengage and a shot is not forthcoming. As a result, I have to be very aware to move the safety forward so as not to move the barrel selector. That's not something I want to be thinking about as a bird flushes.

I'm not new to over/unders. I have 2 that have been my go-to guns for over 3 decades of quail hunting, dove hunting, dog training and trap shooting. I never had this problem with my Browning or Beretta.

Is this a flaw with the gun or is it user error? I have a sentimental attachment to this gun and I love the 28 gauge for my purposes so I definitely want to hang on to it and use it regularly. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: O/U safety issue
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Without feeling the safety myself I can't tell you if it's the safety or your error. What I will suggest is switching the barrel selector to fire the other barrel first and see if you still have the problem. Rather than just putting forward pressure on the safety you may be also putting sideways pressure on it that moves the selector. If you are right handed, move the selector to the left to fire the bottom barrel first. I would expect a right handed person to have a tendency to push that selector to the left. This way if you are in fact putting sideways pressure on the selector as you take the safety off, there will be no where for it to move as it's already over as far as it will go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

twohigh wrote:
Without feeling the safety myself I can't tell you if it's the safety or your error. What I will suggest is switching the barrel selector to fire the other barrel first and see if you still have the problem. Rather than just putting forward pressure on the safety you may be also putting sideways pressure on it that moves the selector. If you are right handed, move the selector to the left to fire the bottom barrel first. I would expect a right handed person to have a tendency to push that selector to the left. This way if you are in fact putting sideways pressure on the selector as you take the safety off, there will be no where for it to move as it's already over as far as it will go.

Good analysis and good suggestion. However, I'm wondering if you don't have the barrel selection reversed? Isn't the selector to the right the BOTTOM barrel as on a Browning Citori?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

There are basically two types of O/U safety/barrel selectors. One type has a V shaped channel cut into the tang where the safety must go right or left as the safety is moved from safe to fire. The blade that rides in this channel is a square edged piece of metal that can easily hang up on the rear edge of the V channel, especially in the fog of a bird flush. On my 2005 Ringneck 20 ga, I pulled the butt stock and the safety and using a fine mini diamond file, I sharpened the rear edge of the V channel and the front edge of the safety blade to a sharp point making it nearly impossible for the safety to hang up. Problem solved.

The other type of safety/barrel selector is the Berretta type with a sliding selector on top of the tang safety. This type can hang up if you accidently move the selector out of the left or right detent, but it is much less prone to hanging up. My advice here is just watch how you are handling the gun and just don't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
twohigh wrote:

Good analysis and good suggestion. However, I'm wondering if you don't have the barrel selection reversed? Isn't the selector to the right the BOTTOM barrel as on a Browning Citori?

You are correct for a Browning Citori. However, he has a TriStar Setter and I looked up on their web site and found this description of their safety.

>>The primary safety is located on the top tang. When engaged, the safety is designed to block the trigger, hammer lever and the hammer which makes the firing mechanism immobile. The safety slides forward and backward (back is safe). When the safety is engaged, the shooter may move it left or right to select which barrel will fire first. Placing the safety switch to the right will fire the top barrel first, to the left will fire the bottom barrel first.<<

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

twohigh wrote:
You are correct for a Browning Citori. However, he has a TriStar Setter and I looked up on their web site and found this description of their safety.

>>The primary safety is located on the top tang. When engaged, the safety is designed to block the trigger, hammer lever and the hammer which makes the firing mechanism immobile. The safety slides forward and backward (back is safe). When the safety is engaged, the shooter may move it left or right to select which barrel will fire first. Placing the safety switch to the right will fire the top barrel first, to the left will fire the bottom barrel first.<<

Thanks. Can't figure why they would do it that way. Which way does the Beretta O/U move to fire the bottom barrel first? I don't have a Beretta O/U or I would check.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Left = lower for Beretta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

If I understand the issue correctly I think it is possible on any O/U that has the barrel selector and safety combination. I know I could have it happen with my Rugers. If I pushed too much L/R and not enough UP the selector switch would start/try to change barrels and get stuck in the middle so to speak. Because I used my right thumb to take the safety OFF and your right thumb has a natural tendency to push things UP and to the LEFT thats how I hunted with the gun.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maybe there is some way to pin the barrel selector so it will not move?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

As an aside, I've read the Tri Star web site as well as the literature which came with the gun, both of which say sliding the barrel selector to the right will fire the top barrel first and to the left will fire the bottom barrel first, just like my Beretta. Unfortunately that's wrong. On my gun, sliding the barrel selector to the right will display the "U" on the left and will fire the bottom barrel first, just like my Citori. Sliding it to the left will display the "O" on the right and will fire the top barrel first.

I located another instruction pamphlet online titled "Tri Star Manual For Over/Unders" which did not come with my gun. It states correctly as follows:

"Push the safety (while in the safe position) to the
left side to fire the top barrel first and to the right to fire the bottom barrel first."

Anyone confused? I'd say Tri Star has some liability exposure hanging out there with such ambiguous instructions to their firearms!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

Bill M. wrote:
Maybe there is some way to pin the barrel selector so it will not move?

This to me seems to be the best solution. Why fight it? It cannot be that tough to look at the safety from inside and determine how to limit its selective capability which on a 28 gauge as well as most others, is not very useful in a hunting environment.

The best safety/barrel selector I ever used or saw was the one that came with the Remington Model 3200. With that gun when you flipped the safety lever to the side it took the safety off AND selected the barrel. Left side selected one barrel, right side selected the other and middle position was On safe. Super slick and fail safe! It even had a provision to remove the safety lever and lock in the fire position so it would never be inadvertently moved in any target game and cause a Lost target.

As stated before, I would figure out how to make that barrel selector non-functional. You will be happier in the long run and won't have to think about it at all. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Cosmo Kramer wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

As an aside, I've read the Tri Star web site as well as the literature which came with the gun, both of which say sliding the barrel selector to the right will fire the top barrel first and to the left will fire the bottom barrel first, just like my Beretta. Unfortunately that's wrong. On my gun, sliding the barrel selector to the right will display the "U" on the left and will fire the bottom barrel first, just like my Citori. Sliding it to the left will display the "O" on the right and will fire the top barrel first.

I located another instruction pamphlet online titled "Tri Star Manual For Over/Unders" which did not come with my gun. It states correctly as follows:

"Push the safety (while in the safe position) to the
left side to fire the top barrel first and to the right to fire the bottom barrel first."

Anyone confused? I'd say Tri Star has some liability exposure hanging out there with such ambiguous instructions to their firearms!

Ok, this doesn't change my advice. If you are in fact moving the selector to the left when you try to take off the safety, just keep it all the way to the left and just shoot your top barrel first. The only times I've changed my barrel selector is when shooting sporting clays, never while hunting. In a hunting situation, most will want to shoot their more open choke first. Just put that open choke in your top barrel. I don't see the liability issue. It's clearly marked on the safety of your firearm. I guess they think the shooter could look at it and figure it out, but they should change their manual and website.