ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ISO barrel for a 1951 Ithaca 37 Featherweight in 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to read this. I have an older Ithaca 37 receiver and complete action in 20 gauge. I'm assuming it is a Featherweight model, given the engraving on both sides of the receiver. I believe it was manufactured in 1951, if I'm reading Ithaca's website correctly. I do not have a barrel for it. Nor do I have the butt stock. This was given to my by a friend a few years back. I am just now finding time to start tracking down the necessary parts to bring this classic back to life. Problem one I am running into is finding a cost effective barrel. In order to buy a new one from Ithaca I have to also buy and adapter. I was quoted a price from one of their sales reps of $750 for the new barrel and adapter. That automatically makes this cost prohibitive. The receiver has seen better days in the rust department. I am planning on completely stripping it to bare metal and rebluing it. I don't see any value in this gun that could justify me spending the $750 on just the barrel, let alone still needing a butt stock and the time and effort for a refinish to even make it someone appealing to my eye.

All that said, I am in the market for a barrel from or around that era that will not require an adapter. I am perfectly content not shooting 3" shells or steel shot out of the barrel. I only say that because I assume one of or both of those reasons why a new barrel would be desired and would thus require an adapter. Shooting the 2-3/4" shells and lead shot are perfectly acceptable in my little corner of this world.

I have looked through this forum, but do not see any topics about this sort of situation. If there are some or one, please point me in the right direction with a link.

Also, a huge shout out to Ithaca's sales rep, Pat Huffman for being completely understanding to me not wanting to drop that sort of money on an older beater gun and for pointing me towards this forum for some further guidance, instead of trying to pressure me into buying new from them and not helping me beyond that. That will win business from me in the future for sure!

Anyhow, thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Here's to hoping my search produces some positive results.

Post subject: Re: ISO barrel for a 1951 Ithaca 37 Featherweight in 20 Gaug
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Go to the Ithaca forum and your problems will be solved. (I hope :lol: ).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:43 pm 
Field Grade

Hello and welcome to the forum. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind when looking for parts for your gun. First on the barrels for old Ithaca 37s is that you will need a barrel made for the early guns (below sn 855k) because those have a different thread design than post 855k barrels. This is the reason the current Ithaca company came up with that adapter system so you could use the current design. Once you find a barrel, that barrel will then need to be fitted to your gun. There are only a few people left that know how to do that properly but one is Les Hovenkamp who was the head gunsmith at the original Ithaca company so he is the best at it. He frequents the Ithaca lovers section on this forum so that is a good place for you to look. Les may have a barrel you can purchase or you can look at ebay. The way to identify an early barrel is that there will be a serial number on it. That number would have matched the gun it was originally fit to but after 855k, there was no longer the need to number the barrels since they are universal. Cost of replacement barrels for anything has gone through the roof lately so I would think it will cost $150 - $250 plus the cost to fit it.
The stock is a bit easier to find because one from any era should work but these guns are gauge specific so you will need to look for a 20 gauge model. You want to watch out for stocks that have been shortened and 37s tend to crack at the upper part where the stock meets the frame so examine that area closely. It can be fixed but that costs money of course so it will like be cheaper to find a replacement in decent shape.
One other place to look for these parts would be the wanted section of the pump classifieds here on the forum.
Sorry if the costs are bad news to you but at least it gives you a starting point.

Good luck.
John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:53 am 
Utility Grade

BE Chuter wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind when looking for parts for your gun. First on the barrels for old Ithaca 37s is that you will need a barrel made for the early guns (below sn 855k) because those have a different thread design than post 855k barrels. This is the reason the current Ithaca company came up with that adapter system so you could use the current design. Once you find a barrel, that barrel will then need to be fitted to your gun. There are only a few people left that know how to do that properly but one is Les Hovenkamp who was the head gunsmith at the original Ithaca company so he is the best at it. He frequents the Ithaca lovers section on this forum so that is a good place for you to look. Les may have a barrel you can purchase or you can look at ebay. The way to identify an early barrel is that there will be a serial number on it. That number would have matched the gun it was originally fit to but after 855k, there was no longer the need to number the barrels since they are universal. Cost of replacement barrels for anything has gone through the roof lately so I would think it will cost $150 - $250 plus the cost to fit it.
The stock is a bit easier to find because one from any era should work but these guns are gauge specific so you will need to look for a 20 gauge model. You want to watch out for stocks that have been shortened and 37s tend to crack at the upper part where the stock meets the frame so examine that area closely. It can be fixed but that costs money of course so it will like be cheaper to find a replacement in decent shape.
One other place to look for these parts would be the wanted section of the pump classifieds here on the forum.
Sorry if the costs are bad news to you but at least it gives you a starting point.

Good luck.
John

Hey, thanks for the information, John! That is extremely helpful!! I'll see if I can track down the Ithaca lovers forum in here. I am not super familiar with the format of this forum or most forums for that matter. But, I'll get is sorted out. I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

Ithaca forum... https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:23 am 
Utility Grade

painter* wrote:

Thank you!!