ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LC Smith Issue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey there,
My dad left me a few SXS and I am just getting around to researching them. This LC Smith won't go quietly back together. I had this issue with a Parker, earlier and had to take it to a gunsmith to decock the hammers? Maybe I just don't have the hands for these/How can I safely break it down and be able to get it back together
I am also curious if anyone can tell me the year of manufacture(1906?) and the gauge? I fit 12 Ga snap caps into it, but the lc smith site shows this serial range fro 16 ga?
I will post more pix once I ge her reassembled properly!
Dad never got around to teaching me this one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: LC Smith Issue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

12ga snap caps will not enter a 16ga chamber, ergo you have a 12ga.

The gun's hammers should be cocked when/before disassembling & reassembling.

When the barrels are off the receiver, and the hammer(s) are uncocked, the L.C.Smith hammers can be manually re-cocked via rotating each hammer's cocking rod in turn, working on the little levers on the action's hinge surface until you hear the "click" of them catching on the sears.

If it's together, it's taken down by first ensuring the chambers are empty, then closing the gun to pivot the forend wood off the barrels.

With the forend off, open the barrels and unhook them from the action hinge for removal.

Re-assemble by hooking the barrels onto the hinge and closing the gun before snapping the forend back onto the barrel undersides.

Post subject: Re: LC Smith Issue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:19 pm 
Field Grade

Welcome!
You have a very nice field grade made in 1923. The field grade was not made until after 1913. There were sections of serial numbers that were reused over time.

Here is some additional info.

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/history.html