ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 59 12 closure spring adjustment in Butt st
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looking for an expert as I been told how critical this adjustment is, I have some info but would like to confirm or another method.
Adjustment spring in Buttstock makes closure spring tighter or looser?
Any info helpful. Just refinished stock and now reassembling.
Thanks, rbdjr

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 59 12 closure spring adjustment in Butt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Check the length of your spring. If it's down around 11-1/2 inches get a new one from Wolff Springs. When you install the spring, screw in the buffer plug until the bolt just latches in the open position. Then further back off the buffer plug until you get around 1/8 to 3/16 additional bolt travel in the open direction. You do not want the bolt handle to hit the end of the slot when pulled back to the end of travel. This is all covered in the huge sticky on the model 50 in the Winchester section.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, Yes Have replaced the spring, fire pin, extractor, and ejector.
I wonder if a 50 and a 59 different? The bolt will lock back no matter where the adjustment plug is even if screwed all the way in and the bolt has play and could never go all the way back and hit the receiver housing in the back of cutout? why I was wondering I did find an older post on another site that has the same info you just gave me.
Thanks for the help, This was my first shotgun I owned my dad gave it to me when I was 13, he bought at a flea market. just refinished stock and replaced some parts. thank you

Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

If your bolt will lock back open even if the buffer is screwed in all the way, seems like there's a problem. First guess would be the spring. Was the spring you replaced a used one. A new Wolff spring is approx 13 in long and I can guarantee that you will not be able to lock the bolt back if the buffer is screwed in all the way.

The 50 & 59 are the same as far as I know. You should check out the model 50 sticky in the winchester section. Lots of info there. Better yet post your questions there. Just a suggestion.j

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

New wolf spring, Talked to another fellow on another site and he said his is the same way, he said he bottoms the adjustment plug in all the way and then backs off 2 1/2 turns?
I did not measure the new spring but it was like 3"s longer than the older spring I took out, when I saw that I was happy, as sometimes with High Brass 2 shells in receiver at same time? bolt would be half way back and new shell completely under the bolt? would have to completely disassemble to unjam, thought that could be the problem?

I want to say thank You for your help. sounds like you have one or worked on previously.

Not a lot of any responses out there, not many of these guns still out there I guess? I believe they wee less expensive gun when they were new, I know a fellow said he bought one new at Sears back around 1960

Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thx for the comments. You'll get a lot more traffic on your inquiry if you repost it in that Winchester sticky I mentioned or start another post for this in the Winchester
section. There's still a fair number of the 50/59's out there. The model 50 in particular was not a low end gun IMO. No chinsey parts on them. They get a bad rap because a lot of original owners didn't know crap about maintaining them. Especially the floating chamber and the timing issue (closing spring adjustment). You still have issues from what I gather from your last reply. Good luck.