ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magazine plastic spring retainer broken.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

I have a new Canuck Hunter Leftie semi auto. The gun is made by Armsan in Turkey and is basically the same gun as the Tri Star Raptor. I have only had 3 boxes of shells through it , and after a Duck hunt today I started to disasemble it and clean it. When I removed the magazine cap the spring and retainer launched themselves across the basement. The magazine spring retainer is plastic and has two tabs that stick into slots on the tube. Both of them were snapped off. I have no idea what happened, and the gun has worked flawlessly. I have only shot 3 inch mags in it so far and have cleaned it several times, due to it being gas operated.
I contacted the dealer who is possibly finding the part , but since this gun is a new model this year, I don't expect one soon.
My question is do any if you think I could use a snap ring type of retainer on this gun. I have several auto shotguns with this configuration and have never had a Failure. I would also have to purchase a plug with a thicker head. The current set up has a thin Beretta/Benelli type magazine plug. I only use this for ducks so a plug is mandatory and will not be removed.
Any thoughts or experience. The original magazine retainer is a very skimpy thin plastic.

Winchester SX4 12 , 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 , 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 , SS 26. Stoeger M3000 12 , Shadow Grass Blades 28,. Benelli Montefeltro 12 , 28 left handed, Canuck Hunter Semi 12 MODB left Hand 28.

Post subject: Re: Magazine plastic spring retainer broken.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:37 am 
Crown Grade

Yes, or, give this a thought,,,,,

A metal disc, cut to the exact same diameter as yours, but WITH the tabs left on.

Picture a cautious few hours with measuring tools, a dremmel, and a beer bottle cap (I think that would do 12-ga and anything smaller).

Then, never worry about the plastic tabs ever breaking again (you KNOW they will).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:19 am 
Field Grade

I was hoping for a less "McIverish" answer. In my research I see some people don't even use a retainer. I feel this part should gave been metal and not thin plastic.
I think a spring clip of the same od will work . The only issue would be the plug.
I saw one YouTube video where they used a Benelli clip in an 870. I am pretty sure it will work. I am wondering if the manufacturer has a solution.

Winchester SX4 12 , 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 , 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 , SS 26. Stoeger M3000 12 , Shadow Grass Blades 28,. Benelli Montefeltro 12 , 28 left handed, Canuck Hunter Semi 12 MODB left Hand 28.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Zman28302 wrote:
My question is do any if you think I could use a snap ring type of retainer on this gun.

Yes, look here https://www.mcmaster.com/snap-rings

Zman28302 wrote:
. I would also have to purchase a plug with a thicker head.

Glue something on with epoxy.

Steve