ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock mounting torque?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Does any company , Browning,Remington,Caesar Guerini, Beretta>? any that give a mounting torque spec for the butt stock to receiver?
I have looked around and cant find, they says tighten but do not over tighten? So its a feel and experience spec ?
Any help appreciated?

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

Post subject: Re: Stock mounting torque?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:57 am 
Limited Edition

Beretta A400 manual says 9-11 N-m. I just did this and using 9 N-m, it seemed WAY tighter than what I would have ever done without a torque wrench.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:58 am 
Field Grade

In for the info.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rbdjr wrote:
Does any company , Browning,Remington,Caesar Guerini, Beretta>? any that give a mounting torque spec for the butt stock to receiver?
I have looked around and cant find, they says tighten but do not over tighten? So its a feel and experience spec ?
Any help appreciated?

I don't use a torque wrench, but I have attempted to estimate my torque on stock bolt tightening on numerous occasions and think I can estimate reasonably close. My estimate is that about 7 ft-lbs of torque is about right, and I've had no problem with that. I seem to recall reading somewhere that about 5 to 10 ft-lbs is the generally correct range, but I don't recall where I read that.

You might start out with about 5 ft-lb torque and see how that works. Keep an eye on the stock/receiver fitment. If you notice that it's beginning to feel loose or wiggle a little bit, then you need to snug it up tighter. Otherwise, you can split the stock if it's not a snug fit. Of course, over-tightening could split the stock too, so try to get it at a happy medium.

In general, it's a "feel" thing after you've done it a few times. The wood is not as delicate as egg shells, but OTOH, it's not as strong as the lug nuts on your car. So try to find a happy medium... which seems to me to be about 7 ft-lb.

BTW, 14 pounds of force applied at a point that is 6" from the center of the bolt would give you 7 ft-lb of torque. Example: 0.5 feet x 14 pounds = 7 ft-lbs. Or, 7 pounds of force applied at 12" from the center of the bolt would also give you 7 ft-lb.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I torque a stock bolt to "two fingers and the thumb", which usually equates to something a bit more than snug but well below monkey tight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Ulysses wrote:
rbdjr wrote:
Any help appreciated?

I don't use a torque wrench, but I have attempted to estimate my torque on stock bolt tightening on numerous occasions and think I can estimate reasonably close. My estimate is that about 7 ft-lbs of torque is about right, and I've had no problem with that. I seem to recall reading somewhere that about 5 to 10 ft-lbs is the generally correct range, but I don't recall where I read that.

You might start out with about 5 ft-lb torque and see how that works. Keep an eye on the stock/receiver fitment. If you notice that it's beginning to feel loose or wiggle a little bit, then you need to snug it up tighter. Otherwise, you can split the stock if it's not a snug fit. Of course, over-tightening could split the stock too, so try to get it at a happy medium.

In general, it's a "feel" thing after you've done it a few times. The wood is not as delicate as egg shells, but OTOH, it's not as strong as the lug nuts on your car. So try to find a happy medium... which seems to me to be about 7 ft-lb.

BTW, 14 pounds of force applied at a point that is 6" from the center of the bolt would give you 7 ft-lb of torque. Example: 0.5 feet x 14 pounds = 7 ft-lbs. Or, 7 pounds of force applied at 12" from the center of the bolt would also give you 7 ft-lb.

You're about spot on with the Beretta manual: 9-11 N-m is 6.64 - 8.11 ft-lbs. So 7 ft-lbs is right in there according to the Beretta manual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

icyclefar wrote:
I torque a stock bolt to "two fingers and the thumb", which usually equates to something a bit more than snug but well below monkey tight.

This has been working for me for years. Lucio told me a common mistake when using both hands, instead of a vice, is the natural tendency to counter torque with your hand holding the receiver.

He told me that over 30 years ago, still working.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MNGunner wrote:
You're about spot on with the Beretta manual: 9-11 N-m is 6.64 - 8.11 ft-lbs. So 7 ft-lbs is right in there according to the Beretta manual

Thanks. That "Newton-meter" term is Greek to me now. I used it a little in a couple of Physics classes many eons ago, but didn't feel like looking it up to find a conversion factor to ft-lbs. SAE is the "language" that I understand best. Glad to know that Beretta agrees with me. I hear that they know a little something about shotguns. :mrgreen: Now if they could just keep the lawyers and bean counters out of their decision making, they would be a pretty good company. :lol:

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:48 am 
Limited Edition

8nm = 88.5 inch pounds. Other than barrel installation on bolt actions. Most all gun work is done with inch pound wrenches. I like the Wheeler Fat wrench