ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Having a hard time finding a firearm part.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:13 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I've been looking & cant find the part I need. This part is the front sight ramp for a Marlin model 80DL. It's a .22 LR bolt action rifle. The ramp in need is mounted with 2 screws. The older ramp style has the old style slot that mates to the barrel, I've found that part, but that's not the one needed. I need the complete set of sights, front & rear. Anyone have or know of any info for a set of sights? I've run the internet to a dead end. I'll be checking after market sight company's Marbles, Williams & see what they might have.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

Post subject: Re: Having a hard time finding a firearm part.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

Have you looked here https://www.ebay.com/b/marlin-80-dl/bn_7024896558 A picture of what you want would help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:12 pm 
Crown Grade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:16 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

CriscoKid wrote:

That's the ramp I'm looking for. Thanks for posting a picture. I've found all the other parts, but the ramp. Been holding off on ordering them until I find that ramp. Plus if I find the ramp, they might have all the other parts too. Just make one order. Anyone know of a source?

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

All the parts are listed here, whether or not they’re in stock is another matter.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... arlin/80dl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:36 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Rudolph31 wrote:
All the parts are listed here, whether or not they’re in stock is another matter.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... arlin/80dl

Yep... been there, done that. ebay too! Just about all 4 corners of the internet. Hoping someone might know someone, who might know someone, who knows someone who has that part. Somebody has it & I like to talk them out of it so I can get a rifle shooting that's not worth the sum of parts.

Edit to add: and this ain't even my rifle. Things you'll do for friends.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 pm 
Field Grade

From the looks of that picture, that front ramp is pretty universal among marlin rifles. Models 39 and 336 use a ramp like that. There is a new style and an old style with the difference being the distance between the screw holes. If you can’t find everything in one place, I have an extra ramp I could sell you. These parts are on eBay quite frequently which is where I have found them.

Good luck.
John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

As John said, Marlin just didn't make individual parts for each gun type/model they produced - they used as many parts as they could across their production lines.

Front sight ramps is one of those parts...………….

The ramp you want is identical to the front sight ramp on most Marlin Model 336 rifles (for one).

Exercise your google-fu ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: Western Carolina - foothills to the Great Smoky Mtns!
Another first place I’d inquire is RimfireCentral.com: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

In fact, the Marlin Bolt Action rimfire sub-forum, to be precise: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/f ... .php?f=268

Best o’ success!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:30 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

thor_sen wrote:
Another first place I’d inquire is RimfireCentral.com: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

In fact, the Marlin Bolt Action rimfire sub-forum, to be precise: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/f ... .php?f=268

Best o’ success!

You went & done it... You just caused me many many hours of future forum surfing. rimfirecentral is now bookmarked. Anything rimfire is high on my list! Now what was it that I was doing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:35 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

CriscoKid wrote:

As John said, Marlin just didn't make individual parts for each gun type/model they produced - they used as many parts as they could across their production lines.

Front sight ramps is one of those parts...………….

The ramp you want is identical to the front sight ramp on most Marlin Model 336 rifles (for one).

Exercise your google-fu ;)

That's something to nail down. I have noticed some ramps like from Williams Sights are made for different size barrels. Maybe a call to Marlin will be a tell all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:51 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

BE Chuter wrote:
From the looks of that picture, that front ramp is pretty universal among marlin rifles. Models 39 and 336 use a ramp like that. There is a new style and an old style with the difference being the distance between the screw holes. If you can’t find everything in one place, I have an extra ramp I could sell you. These parts are on eBay quite frequently which is where I have found them.

Good luck.
John

Ding... the light just lit up. Pulled my Marlin 39A out of the safe and.... we have a match on bolt holes! Looks like the one on the 39A might be shorter/not as long than the one in the picture, other than that, might have some info to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:03 am 
Crown Grade

Location: Western Carolina - foothills to the Great Smoky Mtns!
dovehunter wrote:
...Now what was it that I was doing?

Having a hard time finding a firearm part ... ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:59 am 
Field Grade

This is suposed to be a substitute part..

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/405040A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:44 am 
Field Grade

I'd call these guys too!

http://www.outbackgunparts.com/Products.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:50 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

blindretrieve wrote:
This is suposed to be a substitute part..

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/405040A

That part is the one that shows up for a lot of the Marlin models. If the holes line up, that should work even though it's not as long as the one that should have come on it. Thanks for the link on parts, good to have more source's for gun parts.