ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens model 311
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm 
Utility Grade

IV got an old Stevens 311 16gauge. The front trigger isn’t working anymore. Can’t find any gunsmiths that will work on it and most are telling me the repairs could cost more then gun is worth. Any recommendations on where to get parts?

Post subject: Re: Stevens model 311
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:06 pm 
Crown Grade

There are not a lot of real gunsmiths around anymore but if you search, they can be found. What else is wrong with it? Is it tight on face? There are a number of places that sell parts. Numbrich comes to mind. Also, you might want to check the gunsmith forum on here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Repairs COULD cost more than it's worth, but I sure wouldn't quit until I at least knew what was wrong with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I like the Virginian's approach. If it has been shot to pieces & the action needs serious work, it will be expensive. Most anything else can be fixed with the proper parts if the bores are good. I have a Stevens 311 20 ga. that I have shot a lot for the past 30 years. It was shot a lot before I got it. It still locks up tight & I expect to shoot it many years to come. I expect it to outlast me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW, Jlach ! ! {hs#

Maybe these will help you:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=328665

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=213343

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/guns ... lem-230987

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uSaYqAwPQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:47 pm 
Utility Grade

This gun is in flawless condition except for the trigger no working. Stock is flawless, and everything is tight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: Western Carolina - foothills to the Great Smoky Mtns!
CriscoKid wrote:

Wow Crisco, you did me a solid lime that at least (probably more than once) in the past and APPRECIATION a is just the word that comes to my mind. Sometimes, one is so close to a problem, or so frustrated, that a search can be the equivalent of, “Give me 30 push-ups” or, one does try a search but, despite trying comes up empty for lack of just one search term or something...

Then, you ask for help and this guy Crisco goes out of his way to provide you with actual links!

Thanks man! {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

You're welcome...…. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Great, I like happy endings. I have to believe that if it's just a trigger, it can't be hard to fix. Here is the saga of my 20 ga. 311 if you care to listen. It had been my marsh hen gun for some 30 years before it started miss firing in one barrel every few shots. I took it to no less than 3 gunsmiths & it would be o.k. for a few shots then it would start miss firing again. One guy that claimed to have knowledge of the problem told me that changing the hammer springs usually fixed that problem. I took it back to the last gunsmith & told him, "change the hammer springs & if that doesn't fix it, it's on me!" He did & true to form, it worked until I got miles out in the middle of a vast salt water harsh, then the triggers locked up & the gun wouldn't cock. Some time after that I found an old country gunsmith that had worked on a lot of Stevens box lock shotguns. He told me he would look at it if I wasn't in a hurry. Well, about a year later he called me & said it was ready. He was also working on a L.C. Smith that was mechanically in good shape but needed a machine inletted stock I had bought fitted to it & some minor metal work. He told me that the 311 had a broken cocking lever. I'm thinking the cocking lever must have been cracked but not completely broken until the gun froze up. It hasn't miss fired since he replaced it & he also did a fantastic job on my L.C. Smith!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I had the same issue in one of mine about a year ago. It'd had 0 problems for 30+ years until I sold it and then 5 minutes later I got a call from the guy I sold it to and he said it wouldn't cock. Though I was confident it was on the buyer (I'd shot and cleaned it that same day), I refunded him and sold it as a parts gun with the issue disclosed for $75 less the next week. If it were me, take the hit to resale value (it'll be as much, if not less of a hit than the gunsmith fee), and buy another one.