ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Citori(?) disassembly. Can't get stock off receiver
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello folks,

I recently inherited two Browning shotguns. I called Browning with the serial number to determine the model. The best they could do was tell me they were manufactured in 1980 and they "think" they are Citoris based on the serial number format.

Anyways, one of them is very stiff and I need to get the receiver off of the stock for a proper cleaning and lube. All searches seem to show a bolt through the length of the stock. My problem is, I can't get the recoil pad off of the stock; there are no bolts to access back of the stock.

There were two screws holding the trigger guard to the stock, and I removed those and got the trigger guard off.

Attached are some pictures.

How do I go about separating the receiver from the stock on these guns?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

~Justin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Browning Citori(?) disassembly. Can't get stock off rece
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Using your fingers, slightly stretch the recoil pad in the two locations shown in the photo below. These two points are the "access slits" for the recoil pad screws. On your gun, the bottom slit is actually visible in the photo you posted.

Use a #1 Phillips screwdriver to remove the two recoil pad screws (lubricate the screwdriver blade with a little wax, dish soap, or spray oil for a first-class job). You'll need to push the screwdriver into the rubber recoil pad about an inch before you reach the screw-heads down in there. (Also, the screws will likely be a little tight turning out if they've never been removed in this gun's lifetime).

After removing the recoil pad, you will then have access to the stock bolt.

Most recoil pads are attached to their stock just like this.

P.S. great-looking gun!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Justin,

I agree with Jeff. However, I use a #2 Phillips screwdriver for the job.

Once you get the recoil pad off, you'll likely need a very LARGE flat tip screwdriver. Shine a light down into the stock bolt hole and see the head of the bolt. Try to get a screwdriver with a good fit so that you don't bugger something up.

Also, when removing the stock bolt, be careful that the tip of the screwdriver is "in the slot" of the bolt head and not wedged between the head and the stock. Otherwise, you might split out the stock if you put a lot of torque on the screwdriver with it wedged between the stock and the bolt.

Once you get the bolt out, be careful in removing the stock. Often it is kind of stuck, especially if it has never been removed before. Try to pull straight out with maybe a tiny bit of wiggling in the vertical (up/down) plane. Don't wiggle the stock sideways or you risk splitting the stock.

Another "trick" to use once the bolt is removed is take a thick towel and fold it over several times. Place the towel on the underneath edge of the buttstock. Then, with the towel providing the padding, give the underneath side of the stock a few light "raps" on the edge of your workbench or similar surface. Nothing too hard, just kind of a light bump. This will often help free the stuck stock. Then slowly pull rearward with a firm pressure and good grip on the stock. I like to leave the barrels on the receiver while doing this and put the muzzle of the gun on the floor. Then wrap one leg around the gun to help hold it steady while pulling rearward on the stock. It may look awkward, but it helps steady the gun.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you both. That worked just fine. Got the gun properly cleaned and oiled. The safety lever was very stiff and now it's working perfectly.

Just one small FYI, the screws holding the recoil pad on were actually flathead. #1 flathead worked just fine after I dug around with a Phillips to no avail.

Again, I appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:21 pm 

GreenJeep wrote:
Thank you both. That worked just fine. Got the gun properly cleaned and oiled. The safety lever was very stiff and now it's working perfectly.

Just one small FYI, the screws holding the recoil pad on were actually flathead. #1 flathead worked just fine after I dug around with a Phillips to no avail.

Then someone has probably changed out the screws.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GJ, really nice high grade Citori you have there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GreenJeep wrote:

Glad everything worked well for you. I agree with Curly that someone has likely changed the recoil pad screws. In fact, if you look closely at the picture of the recoil pad, you can see that someone has been in there before with a screwdriver. If it had never been touched, you can't even see the holes unless you pull them apart with your fingertips.

Good job! Thanks for reporting back. {hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.