ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A400 - Problem loading & unloading from magazine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a new 12g A400 Xplor Action, my first autoloader. I am having problems loading and unloading shells from the magazine. I have read thru the owner's manual several times. I have tried 2 3/4 high and low brass and 3" high brass, all with the same results. I am either completely missing something or this is defective.

Loading: It seems the carrier doesn't quite move up far enough into the action to easily load shells into the mag and instead requires concentrated effort and a bit of force. The breech bolt is fully forward and locked.

Unloading: When unloading shells from the mag they come out about 1/4" and hit the carrier making impossible to unload without cycling them into the chamber and then unloading one at a time. The breech bolt is fully forward and locked with no shell in chamber. I push up the carrier while pressing the shell slightly into the mag and with my other hand I am pressing the release button.

Please advise.

Post subject: Re: Beretta A400 - Problem loading & unloading from magazine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 pm 
Crown Grade

There is a mag cutoff on the other side that should allow you to unload without chambering the rounds

Quote:
Loading: It seems the carrier doesn't quite move up far enough into the action to easily load shells into the mag and instead requires concentrated effort and a bit of force. The breech bolt is fully forward and locked.

Not sure what you are saying here - are you dropping a round in the open chamber, closing the bolt and then loading the mag or something else?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My carrier clears the mag opening by at least 1/8" when I depress it by hand. If yours doesn't something is obstructing it from doing so. Don't play gunsmith with it. I would however consider field stripping it, to get to know the gun better. Plus, it should get a good cleaning and proper lubrication to start with. Here's a Beretta video on what to do. Don't bother removing the mag tube spring unless you want to have higher round capacity. Good luck and don't hesitate to send it in if you don't see an obvious problem and very easy solution!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY10vvy_IzI

My advice is given free of charge and worth every penny. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="zach_c"]I just bought a new 12g A400 Xplor Action, my first autoloader. I am having problems loading and unloading shells from the magazine. I have read thru the owner's manual several times. I have tried 2 3/4 high and low brass and 3" high brass, all with the same results. I am either completely missing something or this is defective.

Loading: It seems the carrier doesn't quite move up far enough into the action to easily load shells into the mag and instead requires concentrated effort and a bit of force. The breech bolt is fully forward and

I had the same problem with my new A-400 Multitarget.
It was almost impossible to get the shell into the mag tube.
Brought it to local gunsmith and he ground off a sharp lip on the top of the shell stop.
Now effortless to load as it should be!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:43 pm 
Crown Grade

The last couple of years, Beretta has had a plethora of quality control problems with their A400 shotguns. I bought an A400 Xtreme in 2014 and it started stove piping the spent shells after the second box of 2 3/4" duck loads. Sent it to Coles and they made some minor tweaks and sent it back. Stove piped on the third shell fired through it. Sent it to Beretta in MD and they had it for over 3 months waiting on parts from Italy. Got it back and on the 5th shell it stove piped again.

Immediately took it to my Scheel's store in Salt Lake City and traded it for a Browning Maxus. I've run about 2 cases of lead and steel loads through the Maxus with NO malfunctions.

My bride and I shoot tubed 682 Gold E's for skeet and have NEVER had a problem with them. However, you couldn't give me an A400; they are a total piece of crap IMHO. And Beretta should be very ashamed of that particular product.

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:09 pm 

oneounceload wrote:
There is a mag cutoff on the other side that should allow you to unload without chambering the rounds

There is no magazine cutoff switch/lever on any Beretta auto loading shotgun made in the last three decades. Beretta's have automatic magazine cutoff's. In other words, you don't have to touch anything to have the rounds in the magazine to be blocked when you pull the bolt handle back. The lever on the left side of the receiver is to lock the bolt in the back position when its engaged. Because it locks the carrier, you wont be able to unload the gun this way.

When you unload the gun are you pushing up and holding the carrier while pushing the cartridge stop to the side? If you are leaving the carrier down and then pressing the cartridge release button at the back of the carrier/front of the trigger guard. Rounds will only be released on top of the carrier and then need to be cycled through the action.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:37 pm 
Utility Grade

oneounceload wrote:

Yes, I know. Unloading the chambered round is ok, it's the ones in the mag that are the problem.

Quote:
Not sure what you are saying here - are you dropping a round in the open chamber, closing the bolt and then loading the mag or something else?

Yes, but loading the rounds in the mag is problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Brought it to local gunsmith and he ground off a sharp lip on the top of the shell stop.

Were you also having trouble unloading directly out of the mag as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Worc wrote:
When you unload the gun are you pushing up and holding the carrier while pushing the cartridge stop to the side?

Yes, but as the round starts to come out (~1/4") it hits the carrier even though the carrier is pushed all the way up. It is impossible to remove the round at this point, so I push it back into the mag and then cycle it into the chamber and then eject from the chamber.

I can't believe a brand new gun that costs this much can't perform a basic load/unload from the mag. I will try a field strip to look it over but it's looking like I will have to send this to Beretta.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

zach_c wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:

Were you also having trouble unloading directly out of the mag as well?

It's a target gun so I rarely unload, as I shoot all the shells in it.
I usually cycle the gun to take out unfired shells if necessary.
However, I can remove shells from the mag tube by depressing the shell stop
Local gunsmith charged me $20 and I had it back in 2 days.
If you we ditto Beretta, expect a3 month turnaround.
Send it to Coles, much quicker turnaround and better customer service

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

dubob wrote:
The last couple of years, Beretta has had a plethora of quality control problems with their A400 shotguns. I bought an A400 Xtreme in 2014 and it started stove piping the spent shells after the second box of 2 3/4" duck loads. Sent it to Coles and they made some minor tweaks and sent it back. Stove piped on the third shell fired through it. Sent it to Beretta in MD and they had it for over 3 months waiting on parts from Italy. Got it back and on the 5th shell it stove piped again.

Immediately took it to my Scheel's store in Salt Lake City and traded it for a Browning Maxus. I've run about 2 cases of lead and steel loads through the Maxus with NO malfunctions.

My bride and I shoot tubed 682 Gold E's for skeet and have NEVER had a problem with them. However, you couldn't give me an A400; they are a total piece of crap IMHO. And Beretta should be very ashamed of that particular product.

I've had 8 A-400s, still have 6.
My 12 ga guns(5) have never malfunctioned including my Xtreme which went to Argentina twice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
I've had 8 A-400s, still have 6.
My 12 ga guns(5) have never malfunctioned including my Xtreme which went to Argentina twice.
I'm happy for you. Mine was a piece of crap. Neither Coles or Beretta could fix it. I'll stick with the Maxus thank you very much.
{hs#

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I field stripped it and still can't determine the cause. Looks like I will be sending it in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:44 am 
Crown Grade

Here is how my A400 Xplor Action 20 gauge looks. Does your lifter drop down as far as this one does?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:43 pm 
Utility Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
Here is how my A400 Xplor Action 20 gauge looks. Does your lifter drop down as far as this one does?

Thanks for the video. No it doesn't go that far. I just dropped it off at Cabela's and they are going to have someone look at it in a few days (when this supposed gunsmith will be in). Then I will go from there. I should have taken a video like you did, a picture's worth a 1,000 words.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Did you tell Scheels about the problems you were having?

dubob wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
There is no magazine cutoff switch/lever on any Beretta auto loading shotgun made in the last three decades. Beretta's have automatic magazine cutoff's. In other words, you don't have to touch anything to have the rounds in the magazine to be blocked when you pull the bolt handle back. The lever on the left side of the receiver is to lock the bolt in the back position when its engaged. Because it locks the carrier, you wont be able to unload the gun this way.

Funny, part A-10 is called a Cutoff in the owner's manual, so that's what I went by.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Funny, My A400 has run thousands of rounds without issue. Must have got a good one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:47 pm 
Limited Edition

There is always one bad apple in every bushel. I wonder how many bushel's of A400's Beretta has made. I keep hearing about these problems with the A400. I've had four and haven't experienced
any of the problems described. Don't give up on your A400. They are fine guns. Most any good gunsmith, worth his salt, should be able to fix this problem.

Good Luck,

DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Sgtshultzy1 wrote:
Did you tell Scheels about the problems you were having?

Nope! And I have zero guilt feelings over it. I gave Beretta two chances to make it right and they failed. I have no problem with somebody else fighting that battle with Beretta - either Scheels or the new owner.

Retired