ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Project Pit Stop
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Just wanted to reach out to the far more experienced shotgunners on here to make sure I don't mess up my gun. I have a 1960's Simson 12 gauge SxS that has what I've found to be superficial cracks on the head of the stock. It appears to be from oil soaking into the action so here is my plan and questions, please correct me where I'm wrong.

1. Cover the head in paper towels and heat it up with a hair dryer or in the oven to sweat out any oil through the end grain.
2. Coat the head of the stock in a thin layer of JB weld to seal and bed the action, preventing future cracking and sealing it against more oil seepage.
3. Coat the metal in a thin layer of mink oil as a release agent
4. Put the action back in the stock, screw in the screws, and let it sit for a day or two.

So that's the plan, but will that work? How do I prevent the JB weld from getting into the exposed springs or underneath the tang metal? Thanks in advance for the help.

Post subject: Re: Project Pit Stop
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

I would block entry to the action innards with some kid's Silly Putty - which is easily removed.

Just be sure to apply release agent to the face of the installed putty, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks! So just treat it like drywall over a frame then? Works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would consult a stock expert, never heard of anyone using JB weld on wood.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I believe that standard practice would be to soak the head of that stock in a strong solvent for a day or 2. I use acetone with good results. As for the stock bedding, buy some Acraglass from Brownell. The kit includes a release agent.