ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minwax Antique Oil Finish
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:10 pm 
Field Grade

There are some older posts on the Minwax Antique oil fish on this site but most of the picture links are not working. With the stay at home time I relished 2 Citori stocks and am very happy with the results. I wanted to replace the glossy Browning factory finish with a classic satin finish that would be easier to touch up.

Here is a link to a post on another website but thought it was very detailed.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=231310

Here are a few clarifications modifications I used

I tried two different strippers and they were messy and not very effective. I took the stock to a local furniture repair shop that has a dip tank.. great results no muss no fuss and cost $60/stock.

I sanded with 220&320 grit . I used a damp cloth and steam iron to raise dents. The 37 year old Citori had a few small sharp dents that didn’t raise completely. I covered the checkering with blue painters tape to prevent the finish from building up in the checkering

I used micro fiber cloths to apply the Minwax and buff when sticky.. I bought a bundle of 50 for $15 and used clean ones each day.

I applied 4 coats then rubbed with 0000 steel wool then 4 more coats.

I tuned the finish 50/50 with mineral spirits and used a tooth brush to apply to two light coats to the checkering. If you get any of this outside of the checkering just wipe and buff.

Make sure each coat dries to non sticky. I applied one coat per day in a heated basement shop

I inspected each coat before applying the next coat. If I saw any shiny spots that didn’t get buffed I rubbed them with steel wool and dusted. After the next coat it all blends in. It is easy to fix any goof ups..

I am going to add photos after posting this. Twice while typing the page reloaded and I had to start over.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Minwax Antique Oil Finish
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

You've done well, grasshopper.... {P^

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 pm 
Field Grade

Those turned out really nice. Did you use a stain too or is did you apply that to the natural wood? I’ve got a 22 rifle I want to refinish soon and this looks like a good product to use.

Congratulations on a great result.

John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm 
Field Grade

John
I did not use any stain on the walnut stocks. The Minwax Antique Oil Finish brought out a nice warm tone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm 
Field Grade

I’ve been very pleased with Timberluxe so far. Takes at least some 24hrs between applications but I’m on my third layer and it’s looking good. I’m planning on seven layers.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:59 pm 
Limited Edition

That is a nice chunk of wood.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:20 pm 
Limited Edition

You guys both doing fine work!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Regarding Minwax Antique Oil, permit me to suggest this link: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... st-2960073 located on the High Road Forum. It was started by the same guy, the opening post is identical to the Firing Line post you cited, but the general discussion appears much more thorough. The author, defariswheel, has numerous posts on various forums on stock refurbishment, and seems to really know his stuff.

I refinished an old Model 12 stock several years ago. It was recommended that to use Minwax Antique Oil, but I expressed concerns about it not being intended for outdoor use. A member of this Forum suggested sanding in as a method to fill the pores. He said he had done that on the recommendation from an Alaskan gun forum, that he did so and used his refinished gun stock in both rain and snow without any consequences. He also suggested using Herters or Art's Red filler to supply the reddish tinge to duplicate the pre-64 Winchester finish. I did so, and it worked out nicely, although I haven't used it in inclement weather. I'm most satisfied with the end result.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Rattler wrote:
Regarding Minwax Antique Oil...
...he also suggested using Herters or Art's Red filler to supply the reddish tinge to duplicate the pre-64 Winchester finish...

Cabot's Gunstock Stain (Click here for my post about it on this forum) has a really nice reddish tinge to it; and that stain, combined with "Genuine Oil" by Birchwood Casey is yet another option for a nice stain/finish.

The old German Drilling in that posting I've linked to above came out "Wunderbar" with that combination.

Old No7