ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 725 Sporting stock finish
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I am thinking of modifying the 725 28 ga. I recently purchased. I may have to lower the comb when I shorten the stock. What is the stock finish?

Post subject: Re: 725 Sporting stock finish
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is your finish a high gloss finish or I’d is more like a flat oil finish that is dark brown?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

You might want to take a look at my thread below.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=529830
I have not updated it for a week or so but if you have the high gloss finish, the consensus is that it is a two part epoxy. It is very difficult to repair. You will see that I was trying to just repair some scratches. I tried pretty hard but decided to give up on repair. I am now in the process of stripping and refinishing. Its a bunch of work now but I will end up with a finish I will be able to easily touch up and repair. I am almost done with the forearm. After stripping I am using the Minwax Tung Oil Finish. I think it will come out ok.

I won't say I am any expert at all but I had previous experience with polished epoxy from making a few surfboards. I had all the stuff needed. A clear finish-type epoxy, all manner of sanders and polishers. I gave up because I could not get my repair area clean enough and the new epoxy was forming "fish-eyes". I realized that it was going to be a never ending headache. So I punted and started stripping.

That all assumes you have the High gloss. I looked on the browning site for what they say in the specs. Foy my Tap Max they say
"Gloss finish Grade V/VI walnut stock with close radius grip and palm swell"

For the 725 Sporting they say
"Gloss oil finish Grade III/IV walnut stock with close radius grip and palm swell"

So its gloss vs "gloss oil". Maybe you don't have the epoxy.
If you scratch the finish and it turns white, then you have epoxy. See the photos in my other thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Your car is not an epoxy finish. What happens when it gets scratched?

Any non-penetrating clear finish will turn white if you scratch it, be it lacquer, urethane, or epoxy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:22 pm 
Field Grade

painter* wrote:

Any non-penetrating clear finish will turn white if you scratch it, be it lacquer, urethane, or epoxy.

well honestly I don't know about cars and other finishes. I do know that white scratches are a common complaint with the Browning gloss finish.

I am moving away from any form of clear coat. Most of the common and popular finishes are oil (Tung or Linseed) mixed with thinner and lacquer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:47 am 
Crown Grade

rhodesengr wrote:
painter* wrote:

well honestly I don't know about cars and other finishes. I do know that white scratches are a common complaint with the Browning gloss finish.

I am moving away from any form of clear coat. Most of the common and popular finishes are oil (Tung or Linseed) mixed with thinner and lacquer.

More likely varnish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:36 am 
Field Grade

painter* wrote:
More likely varnish.

I think that's what I meant :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:34 am 
Limited Edition

The finish is not the high gloss Browning finish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

500sks wrote:
The finish is not the high gloss Browning finish.

The owners manual says to use Watco Danish oil finish or Formby's Tung Oil Finish to maintain. Formby's was bought by Minwax. Watco, I think is Boiled Linseed oil and varnish and we already talked about Minwax.

What is not clear is if Browning used a stain below the oil finish. As I stripped my wood pieces with the high gloss, it is pretty clear they used a stain before the clear coat. They would not tell me what color or product they used.