ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tru Oil vs Genuine Oil from Birchwood
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:29 pm 
Field Grade

Would someone please explain the difference between the two Birchwood products? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Tru Oil vs Genuine Oil from Birchwood
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm 
Crown Grade

BC Genuine Gunstock Oil is listed as having Naptha and Tung Oil

BC Tru Oil is listed as having Stoddard Solvent (an oil based product like naptha and is close to kerosene) - basically an oil based solvent.

BC Modified Oil - their secrete ingredient ( could be a modified oil based poly ?), Linseed oil.

Last edited by CriscoKid on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

CriscoKid wrote:

BC Tru Oil is listed as having Stoddard Solvent (an oil based product like naptha and is close to kerosene) - basically a oil based solvent.

BC Modified Oil - their secrete ingredient ( could be a modified oil based poly ?), Linseed oil.

Thank you. I wonder why the new Birchwood website doesn’t include any of these products. And they are being rather difficult to find.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:50 am 
Field Grade

CriscoKid wrote:

BC Tru Oil is listed as having Stoddard Solvent (an oil based product like naptha and is close to kerosene) - basically an oil based solvent.

I also suspect modified oil is either some kind of varnish, or soybean oil modified to form a drying oil. Soybean oil is used in many varnishes because it doesn't yellow as much as linseed oil. TruOil seems to produce a relatively high gloss much more easily than pure tung oil or boiled linseed oil, which would be consistent with it having some varnish added.

If you look up Bob Flexner in one if the woodworking magazines, he basically breaks down oil-based finishes into oil, oil-varnish blends, and varnish. Of course there's also shellac, lacquer, and others, but they're kind of a different family.

The Genuine Oil is a mix of oil and thinner. Tru Oil is oil, either a different oil or varnish, and thinner. Incidentally, most "oil" finishes are oil, varnish, and thinner. The varnish helps the finish "build" more easily so that it develops gloss and durability faster.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:33 am 
Field Grade

They are both just thinned oil varnish mixes
True oil uses Stoddard (Another name for simple "Spirits" )
Birchwood casy used Naptha as the thinner.

They both have oil .. Birchwood Casey has Tung (though I would doubt its true Tung)

True oil "Oils" is proprietary,but probably. a mix of boiled linseed and tung.

These are just copies of Sam Maloofs famous oil varnish mix he used on his stunning furniture...

Formby's "Tung oil" Finish has little to no tung oil in it,, It too is a basic oil varnish mix..
Minwax's "Antique Oil Finish" is another oil varnish mix.. as is Howards "Restore a Finish" but it offers "colored" blends too,"

You can mix your own
1/3 Varnish of your choice (I like Minwax fast dry Polyurethane - semi gloss)
1/3 thinner (Naptha, mineral spirits, paint thinner)
1/3 Oil (boiled lindseen.Tung, or soy.)

I have found thinning it thinner with more solvent (just a bit more) makes it easier to work with.

I just wipe on a liberal coat, with Scotts "Blue" shop towels,, wait till it just gets slightlly tacky,, then wipe off ALL residue. (Tape off Checkering)
The finish is "IN" the wood instead of "On TOP"
Repeat till you get the sheen and build you desire..
The beauty of it is, is you wipe off the residue,,so there is no chance of airborn dust settling on it as it dries..It dries fast, allowing mulitiple coats relativly fast..
Its fool proof! You cant screw it up..
Just make sure the Varnish you choose forr the mix is Oil Based,,not water..

I will say though,, I think its comical people fool around stickin their fingers in it to apply!:) all that does is get your fingers sticky! :) But, it is romantic to claim it was hand rubbed! :)

Easiest finish out there to use..

Its been around for a long time.. and copied often..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can get the Birchwood Casey Safety Data Sheets that include ingredients here. But I am not seeing modified oil on the list.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/safety-data-sheets/

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you, gentlemen.