ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning Gloss Finish repair.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:40 pm 
Field Grade

I think I am going to chuck the stock coating. The epoxy recoating is not going all that well so long term, i want something easier to maintain.

Which brings me to epoxy strippers. Anyone know if the Jasco Paint and Epoxy remover will work? That seems to be what comes up when I search. I called my local Kelly Moore store to see what they has and they told me Jasco is banned in California, so it must be good, right? Any other suggestions to stripping the OEM finish?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have used Jasco on a Browning OEM finish among others. I like to start out with the least toxic thing and work my way up if I need to but in this case you could go right to Jasco because you and both know how it’s going to go. Lol

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:59 pm 
Field Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I have used Jasco on a Browning OEM finish among others. I like to start out with the least toxic thing and work my way up if I need to but in this case you could go right to Jasco because you and both know how it’s going to go. Lol

so it will work and not damage the wood? I am open to other suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It won’t damage the wood. It’s just nasty stuff. I usually start with Citrus Strip. A couple applications to see where that will get me. I often soak them in acetone to either assist in removing finish and or get oil out of the stock. Then rinse them in denatured alcohol to stop any leftover reactions.

Whatever you don’t let anybody tell you to use oven cleaner. I did it once and regretted it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Citristrip and then placed in a big baggie has always worked for me. Might take three or four tries but it rinses with water and cleans up easy. A stiff brush helps.

Make sure you use gloves, it really dries the skin out.

Post subject: getting metal parts out of the forearm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

So anyone have a video of how to disassemble the forearm? I took out the three pretty obvious screws but the mechanism did not simply come loose.

Nevermind. I got it. Found a thread in the Browning section that showed how. A little nerve wracking tapping on the parts. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I forgot to mention the gloves and wrapping the stock pieces in plastic wrap to let the Citrustrip do it’s thing. Patience is key you have to let it do it’s thing. I’ll often let it sit all day and sometimes I accidentally leave it overnight. But it is best that it says wet. Apply rinse repeat.

Carful using a stiff brush on the checkering as you can damage it. I use a toothbrush for the checkering.

Don’t use plastic wrap if you use Jasco. It will melt the plastic wrap.

It is nerve racking getting the metal parts off during disassembly. After you are done with your refinish care must be taken during assembly that it all fits well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:01 am 
Field Grade

Quote:
It is nerve racking getting the metal parts off during disassembly. After you are done with your refinish care must be taken during assembly that it all fits well.
[/quote]

Be careful when sanding areas where the wood and metal meet. It is easy to sand down the edges and leave gaps when you go to re-assemble.

If you do not want the hassle and mess of stripping the finish you might check with a furniture refinisher. I took my stock and fore end and had it dipped for $60. No muss no fuss.