ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lighten the hammer (and maybe trigger) of single shot rock i
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

Picked up a single rock island 20 today at fleet farm for my son to get into turkey hunting(8
5 years old). Definitely not my best purchase (they're no HR thats for sure) but the adjustable buttstocks sold ke as he's pretty small framed.

Anyways, the hammer is HARD to pull back. Triggers kinda hard and gritty... is there a way to lighten the hammer pull at least some? I know it will wear it a little with time but this is very hard. I came across the below video, the Hatfield looks similar to my rock island.. would this be a safe method as long as I used locate on that screw he loosens? Posting a pic of the gun as well so you know what I have
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUQ712GEHx4

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Lighten the hammer (and maybe trigger) of single shot ro
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I watched the video and it seems to me (based primarily on the video) that what that guy did to his shotgun would work on your shotgun PROVIDED your gun has the same type flat spring setup to power the hammer. As you know, it's important that once the screw is loosened that it doesn't continue to loosen on it own from usage. Some Locktite might work for that.

Also, as you know, if you loosen up the screw too much, you may lighten the hammer blow on the firing pin to the point where it won't ignite the primer. As long as you're aware of these things, I think it's worth pursuing for a gun that will only see a light volume of shooting.

There are likely other ways of addressing the problem such as changing the flat spring to a similar but lighter one. Also, a good polishing of the contact surfaces of the hammer, sear, and trigger pivot pin would help. Often times, these surfaces are very rough on an inexpensive shotgun and some polishing will help a lot.

There are other ways also such as changing the angle and depth of the notch on the hammer, but I will warn you that this could be unsafe and extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You could create a "hair trigger" situation that could cause someone to get killed.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of things that can be done to lighten and smooth out the trigger pull, but some of them are unsafe for an amateur to fool with. If you do ANY changes or modifications at all, be sure that the user of the gun knows the proper procedure for handling a misfire or failure to fire if/when the hammer drops. Safety is your number one concern!

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks!

Do you by chance know a source that might have a spring?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sh40674 wrote:
Thanks!

Do you by chance know a source that might have a spring?

I don't know of any sources for flat springs. That doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm just not aware of them. If it were a coil spring, there are many sources, but I don't know where to look for a flat spring. You might "google" it. Also, don't underestimate the benefit of some smoothing/polishing of the critical friction parts which you could do yourself. Good lubrication (oil) would help too.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.