ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby Orion firing pin replacement. Here's how I did it.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:39 pm 
Field Grade

For those of you that have an SKB/Japan-made Weatherby Orion, and want to repair/replace your firing pins,...read on. These shotguns have an unusual style of firing pin that is held in by a bushing. The pin itself has a square shank that protrudes through the bushing and is where the force is applied to rotate out the bushing.
Much to my dismay, SKB does not offer (for sale) the small wrench required to turn out the pin/bushing assembly any longer.
I wanted to order new/backup pins for this shotgun, but needed to get the originals out to confirm what I needed....because there are a couple of different styles depending on the age of the gun. Bummer! Now what?
Being the consummate Redneck that I am, I made my own wrench! (Let me state right now that there is another socket-style unit that is available on the internet, but it appeared to me from the photo that you might have to remove the hammers and hammer springs to use said socket style unit) I decided it would be easier to make one.
The photo above shows the Orion firing pin/bushing/spring assembly and the wrench I concocted to get 'em out. The square pin shank measures .126-.127" across the flats. So, I used a piece of scrap steel slightly less than 1/8 inch thick and drilled a .125" hole in it. I then used a small/square needle file to "square up" the hole to fit the firing pin shanks. The tip of the wrench was then ground down and rounded (+/- 1/4 inch wide) to fit onto the pin shank and be small enough not to hit on the frame of the action.
(Important part here): I used a propane torch to heat the wrench tip orange and quenched in tap water to harden. The pins are hard and will bend the square hole if you don't do this.
I flooded the bushings with penetrating oil while I was making the wrench. (20 minutes?) before attempting removal. They turned right out with no problems.
Just thought I'd share with anyone that might be contemplating working on their Orion's.
BTW, if anyone has one of the socket style units, Id be curious to know if it worked well or not?
Thanks Ulysses, for challenging me (several months back) to figure out how to drill a square hole! {hs#
Kentuckycook (Bill)

Post subject: Re: Weatherby Orion firing pin replacement. Here's how I did
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
Thanks Ulysses, for challenging me (several months back) to figure out how to drill a square hole! {hs#

LOL. Congrats! Good job! Thanks for posting your story. {hs#

BTW, I have one of the L-shaped wrenches from SKB for removing the firing pin. It works, but had to remove the hammer and hammer spring to use it. Also had to remove the release trigger parts to get to everything, so my job was harder than yours except for the fact that I didn't make my own wrench. I decided that it was better to pay $25 for one (even though it's an outrageous price) than to spend the time to make my own.

Again, good job! :D

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm not enough of DIY guy or gunsmith to attempt a project like that, especially with my old eyes and shaky hands, although I did install a MCarbo trigger spring in my wife's SA-28 which turned out to be a bit trickier than doing one on a SA-20 like in their video.

So when my SKB built Orion needed some TLC it was off to Omaha. Excellent work, timely turnaround, reasonable cost AND I didn't have to double down on my blood pressure med's!
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:14 am 
Limited Edition

I have the tool that SKB sold and use it on my model 85TSS guns. Was told or read soon after that purchase that it was very similar to a bicycle spoke wrench!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:57 am 
Field Grade

Just for curiosity's sake, does anyone know what other shotguns ,if any, that use firing pin bushings/retainers like the SKB shotguns?

Kentuckycook