ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bore Gauge?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:41 am 
Field Grade

I found a few old threads about inexpensive bore gauges. Unfortunately, the links no longer work on the threads I found.
Does anybody know of a reasonably priced bore gauge. I am tuning up $600 to $1200 options. It would be very useful to be able to measure myself, but not $800 dollars useful. I m only a hobbyist.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Bore Gauge?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

If you only want a 6 inch one in length they are not too bad. See the second link. I wish I had bought one when I first started buying older doubles but the good ones have never been cheap. Good luck!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sk ... olid=10001

https://www.amazon.com/Bore-Gauges/b?node=401577011

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:38 am 
Limited Edition

Use a soft lead egg style sinker. A bit of oil in the bore and on the sinker and tap it into the bore but stop before the choke. Tap it back out through the chamber and measure with a mic, eezy peezy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have the 100 Staight bore gauge with 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 heads. I love using it and have measured my own and lots of other guns and choke tubes. When I buy a used gun I always bring it with and have saved way more than the cost of the gauge by identifying barrels that have been opened up, probably due to pitting, or other anomalies. I am a serious hobbyist and it is worth it to me. This one tool has saved me and my friends many multiples of the $600 I have in it. I also have a scale to weigh my guns and a full set of measuring tools for stock dimensions. I love numbers!
Get the best tool you can at a price you are comfortable with.
Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am 
Limited Edition

https://www.theunloader.com/
Very good selection at very reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:55 am 
Field Grade

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use a Skeets bore gauge, it has done the job for years. It is accurate for what I need, chokes,etc. You get what you pay for... Always clean the bores before usage, it will fowl the gauge with dirt.