ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage fox model b
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:25 am 
Utility Grade

Hello guys new here so if this is in the wrong place sorry. Anyway I was wondering if there’s any good gunsmiths you guys use I need the lockup on a savage fox model b tightened up the locking lever is left of the safety ever so slightly it still locks up tight with the forearm on but once you take that off it rattles a little when you shake it. If I push the lever to the left than shake it the rattle goes away the shotgun is in beautiful condition otherwise I would appreciate it if you could recommend someone who can make it true again for a reasonable price thank you .

Post subject: Re: Savage fox model b
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

You can check it yourself before determining just what it needs,

Remove the forend/wood and hold the gun upside-down with the butt held solidly under one arm.

When in position, with the other hand, attempt to wriggle (not "open") the barrels.

A slight movement is OK, but more than that would indicate a shim job on the hinge to get the barrels back "on face".

Just don't entrust the repair to some parts-changer that calls themselves a gunsmith.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:28 am 
Utility Grade

Located in NYS it seems like with the forearm off the barrels have some left to right movement but no open and closed movement or very slight can barely feel it (the open closed play ).With the barrels closed the lever is to the left with the barrels removed the lever only moves a tiny bit more to the left there’s not really a major difference in the lever position with the barrels on or off the difference is maybe 4-5 mm maybe it needs a shim if so how is that done ? I’m an auto mechanic and I also do plumbing work on side like soldering pipe so with that knowledge is this something I would be able to accomplish myself or is it best to leave it to a gunsmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 am 
Presentation Grade

Ceb427 wrote:
I also do plumbing work on side like soldering pipe so with that knowledge is this something I would be able to accomplish myself or is it best to leave it to a gunsmith

Without going into all the reasons, let me be succinct: NO!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 am 
Utility Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
Ceb427 wrote:
I also do plumbing work on side like soldering pipe so with that knowledge is this something I would be able to accomplish myself or is it best to leave it to a gunsmith

Without going into all the reasons, let me be succinct: NO!

I figured as much is this an expensive repair Midwest gun works is 340 for a total action job is this a good price? Anyone have experience with them ? I don’t want to leave it to any old gunsmith the gun is in beautiful shape and definitely worth fixing. if anyone knows anyone else who does good work let me know thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 pm 
Crown Grade

IMO, a repair @ $340 becomes a money pit from which you'll never recover.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is a video of Jack Rowe performing the classic rejoining style repair on a side by side by using a new, slightly larger cross pin to take up slop or play in the hook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqfxRugPVw

This video is another method-- Larry Potterfield welds material back to build up the hook area and then filing it away to bring the barrels back on face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IypBM9xHSFc

This last video demonstrates using copper shim tape on the hook to tighten the barrel lock up
I would suspect this the metal tape shim would be least permanent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOc6NHl-bkc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Send it to gunsmithing limited in Southport, CT.

Jim