ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's visit about stock bending
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm 
Field Grade

What are the risks of fitting a gun and bending the stock to the correct fit?

We are lefthanded shooters one of us owns a Browning 725 and the other owns a LH 694. When we swap guns we have noticed that the both of us shoot the LH 694 better. SO we are thinking a good adjusting of the Browning is needed. The one that shoots the Browning is not wanting to move to a Beretta. It is a either you're a Beretta guy or a Browning guy but you'll never be both...

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Let's visit about stock bending
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I think the answers are;

1) cracking/breaking
2) rebound, which may not actually be a risk
3) finish damage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The risk is cracking the stock, more often than not because not enough time was allowed for the wood to elasticize. Against my better judgement, I bent a K-80 for 9/16" of cast for a friend. A process that would take an hour or less on a slim-stocked double gun took me 3 sessions of over 2 hours to get that amount of bend. Over a year later, the bend has held.
I can't respond to any concerns about heat effects on the finish, because I don't know what finish is on the 725's. I have had mixed result trying maintain varnish or lacquer under heat.
A true stock man would likely re-inlet the wood.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:38 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, by cracking do you mean during the bending or afterwards?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would expect to see a crack develop during the bending process, if there is going to be one. I imagine that a flat sawn stock in inferior wood MIGHT crack after bending but I think that once a bend has taken place and cooled, this is unlikely.
Please keep in mind that I am a woodworker, not a stock maker or gunsmith.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have seen and repaired a number of stocks that were bent and developed cracked in the inletting.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Doug,
It would seem to to me that any crack that developed in bending would be at the wrist, not the inletting. But, I suppose that if someone set up a bending jig that did not stabilize the head of the stock, the inlet area would be compromised, and may crack.
If you need to add cast to a stock for a customer, do you re-inlet the stock, and bed the off side?

Post subject: Let's visit about stock bending
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m just relaying my experience. Even though I assume the head of the stock is supported including the cheeks (I hope, I’ve never seen one bent; except in a video) during the bend I have seen the cheek break. It hoppers opposite the bend. I would assume that if this were addressed in the process it would be fine.

I have removed wood to allow for some cast on the customer’s request. Or I do an adjustable comb.

I haven’t changed the inletting on a gun because I can’t see how it can be done without an unsightly gap and I just can’t live with that.

Understandably an adjustable comb has no place on a straight wrist sxs. I believe those are guns that can be bent if absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

The concern about the head of the stock on a break action shotgun splitting when attempting a bend is certainly an issue that must be addressed. The following pictures show the way I decided to support that critical area when I built my stock bending jig.

These two leather faced blocks with the sliding slot adjustment are what supports the thin sides alongside the tang when I bend a SXS or O/U. The oak board with the all thread and wing nuts is used to clamp the receiver to the bending jig.

This shows the overall configuration of the bending jig with the barrel clamping block at the far end along with the switch for the heat lamps and the blocks supporting the adjustable heat lamp arms. The milled groove in the two inch thick maple block table allows the rib to be used as a gauge to center the gun and also prevents clamping force from damaging the rib. The top lever also sets down in the groove.

This picture shows the jig with a SXS mounted and the wrist being heated by the two GE 250 watt red heat lamps (not Sylvania lamps unless you want to burn the wood). I use canola oil to dampen the heated area to aid in heat transfer.

This picture shows the bending force force being applied to attain the desired 3/8" cast off. The milled slot and the measuring groove you see in this picture are precisely centered on the bending table to allow for accurate setup and measurements.

The finished product showing the 3/8" cast off after allowing the stock to cool to ambient temperature and removing the bending force resulting in about one third of the bend springing back, but the remaining bend being permanent. The amount of spring back allowance is sort of a guess, but if you miss the number you want, the stock can be bent time and time again until you get it right. If going from cast on to cast off as the OP proposes, I would first bend the stock to neutral, and then another bending session to attain the cast on. I hope this information helps address the concerns of the OP.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:51 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, this does help with decision making.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can’t imagine a gun with a lay on finish would except the oil to aid in the bending process. Also I imagine a long tang from the trigger guard must be an issue as well.

I accept that my experience is dwarfed by the number of guns successfully bend. And I certainly don’t mean to knock the quality of anybody’s work.

I guess I just am not a fan of bending except for the stocks that meet certain requirements that allow them to be bent successfully.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:40 am 
Crown Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I can’t imagine a gun with a lay on finish would except the oil to aid in the bending process. Also I imagine a long tang from the trigger guard must be an issue as well.

I accept that my experience is dwarfed by the number of guns successfully bend. And I certainly don’t mean to knock the quality of anybody’s work.

I guess I just am not a fan of bending except for the stocks that meet certain requirements that allow them to be bent successfully.

The trigger guard is removed before before bending the wrist and then slightly tweaked in a padded vise to lay in the mortise at the new angle. It is undetectable when you're all finished.

A few finishes are affected by the heat and oil treatment to varying degrees, but can usually be brought back by going over the area with 5:1 thinned Truoil on a paper towel pad several times while rubbing vigorously.

To my eye, the traditional look of a nice SXS can be maintained better by bending rather than adjustable combs and the results are just as good for that particular shooter. However, I'm certainly not adverse to making a gun suitable for the task at hand by whatever means necessary, On my trap and skeet guns I have fitted them with the fully adjustable, recoil absorbing Precision Fit stocks which are the least traditional stock available.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with you Riflemeister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:19 am 
Field Grade

You tube has a video of Jack Rowe, an old school highly respected english gunsmiths, using oily rags and a blow torch on a strait grip sxs. The rags catch fire then he bends it with his hands

For a 725, consider an adjustable comb. Maybe 150-250 depending on installer. Will solve your problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:52 am 
Crown Grade

Doug, long time no "see". I had my very first SxS adjusted at Wm. Powell's the Birmingham gunmakers, using just the same method as Jack's,(above) only in my case the stock had too much drop and was moved upwards.

It left the gun with a slight "roach belly" which wasn't really noticeable until you noticed it, and ever afterwards it was the first thing you saw and couldn't stop looking at. :?