ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing Plug From AL48
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:41 pm 
Field Grade

How do you remove the plug from a Franchi AL48. I can see the thing, but am not sure as to how to remove it.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Removing Plug From AL48
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:50 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
If it is that plastic one with the end that is the full diameter of the magazine tube, you will have to remove the magazine spring retainer. If it's a pencil, you can just dump it out :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

On both my 48ALs, after removing the magazine spring retainer, the plugs wouldn't budge. I had to drill a small hole in the end of the plug and then partially thread in a small wood screw which I grabbed with a pair of pliers to pull the plug out.

Once I got them out, I sanded them down so they go in and out easily (as I imagine they were intended to).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

No, they are not really intended to go in and out EASILY.

If they were, then every time you remove the cap to take the barrel off to clean or adjust it, there is the distinct possibility of the magazine spring launching the retainer into Low Earth Orbit, never to be seen again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:

If they were, then every time you remove the cap to take the barrel off to clean or adjust it, there is the distinct possibility of the magazine spring launching the retainer into Low Earth Orbit, never to be seen again.

I haven't experienced that problem with my Franchis or other shotguns that use a similar retainer and have loose-fitting wooden plugs (older Winchester pumps for example). I make sure the retainer maintains a tight fit. My Mossberg pump doesn't have any retainer at all. Not an issue for me... but something to be aware of.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 am 
Tournament Grade

If mag cap and any retaining device are removed, it should be possible to push the plug out by forcefully loading deactivated shells into the magazine. The plug and mag spring will be energized so caution required.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:

I haven't experienced that problem with my Franchis or other shotguns that use a similar retainer and have loose-fitting wooden plugs (older Winchester pumps for example). I make sure the retainer maintains a tight fit. My Mossberg pump doesn't have any retainer at all. Not an issue for me... but something to be aware of.

I've had my Auto 5 spit one once....