ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shorten barrel on Mossberg SA-20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a used SA-20 Youth Bantam that I bought a few years ago simply because it was dirt cheap and it has just been sitting in my safe ever since. I want to convert it to a home defense gun that my wife will feel comfortable using. It has a 24" barrel, but I would like to shorten it to 19" or 20". Will this keep the gas system from operating properly?

Thanks,
Bob

Post subject: Re: shorten barrel on Mossberg SA-20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

bob3car wrote:
I have a used SA-20 Youth Bantam that I bought a few years ago simply because it was dirt cheap and it has just been sitting in my safe ever since. I want to convert it to a home defense gun that my wife will feel comfortable using. It has a 24" barrel, but I would like to shorten it to 19" or 20". Will this keep the gas system from operating properly?

Thanks,
Bob

Highly likely, with light loads. It also destroys the value of the gun and you lose the benefits of choke options.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Re: shorten barrel on Mossberg SA-20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pretty cheap gun, I wouldn’t worry about value if that’s what you want, cylinder hoke is fine for what you want. At worst you would open up one of the gas ports,but you will probably be fine.