ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finish coming off wood
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:38 am 
Utility Grade

My son has a Tristar 12ga O/U that he is using for trap and skeet. Yesterday was his first trap shoot and it rained really bad the entire shoot. We wiped the gun down when he finished and packed everything up and headed home. By the time we got home about 1 1/2 hrs later and took the gun out to clean it I noticed much of the finish on the stock and foregrip was just chipping off. It's so bad it is completely ruined. This Tristar is only 4 weeks old. Anyone ever see this happen?

Post subject: Re: Finish coming off wood
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:55 am 
Field Grade

That blows, emt. Couple qs. Hope this gets resolved easily
4 weeks new to you or brand new?
Your immediate wipedown was clean cloth, no shotgun cleaner?
"Chipping" - can you post pic? That seems odd - usually wood issues are streaking / clouding / discoloring.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:58 am 
Limited Edition

Sorry to hear about the new Tristar. The only condolence I can offer is that the finish came off my wife's Syren Tempio within one month too. That gun never saw rain, CG insists the problem was caused by sweat, sunscreen or makeup.
Can you guess what brand is no longer on my "buy" list??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

IME, with some (not all) gunstock finishes, your experience isn't rare under those conditions.

The reason is that most manufacturers don't apply any finish in the hidden areas of the wood, like under the BP/pad, inside the forend & inside the buttstock inletting.

That allows moisture to enter the wood, swelling it on odd ways.

Some finishes flake off, but epoxy finishes will swell with the wood and leave wrinkles in the finish after the wood swell dries out (but the finish stays swelled).

As a result of my experience, the first thing I do when acquiring a new gun is to ALWAYS take the stock(s) off the gun and get some finish into/on those exposed areas before taking it out for the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:37 pm 
Field Grade

Great advice Cisco Kid.

My Dad taught me that 60 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:49 pm 
Crown Grade

California Flyway wrote:
Great advice Cisco Kid.

My Dad taught me that 60 years ago.

T Y - that's about when I learned that the hard way, with a Remington 1100 & it's RKW epoxy finish.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 pm 
Field Grade

The good news is if it’s wood it’s fixable. A little stripping, sanding possibly touching up the checkering and refinish with something climate appropriate. Most commercial gun “Oil” finishes such as Tru Oil (which is a great product) have some varnish in the mix which helps with repelling water. Also, a good coat of wax goes a long ways.