ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LC Smith Featherweight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 am 
Utility Grade

Just picked up an LC Smith Featherweight in 16 ga, made in 1938. It functions beautifully, locks up tight as ever, and the overall condition is great. The one area that I wouldn't mind addressing is the finish on the buttstock, it's starting to crack a bit from age and wood movement over the last 83 yrs. I'm not looking to refinish the stock or remove any of the dents/dings/character, I just want to see if there's a less intrusive way to refresh the finish a bit without full removal/refinish. The forend, and grip area that have seen handling are still beautiful and I see no need to do anything there. Hopefully the crackling I'm talking about comes across in the photos, I had to reduce the image quality a good bit to get it under the size limit for upload.

So my questions are: what sort of finish did LC Smith use in that time period, and would there be a way to preserve that finish and still address the crackling? I'm not going to lose any sleep if not, and its still going to hit the grouse woods this coming fall either way.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: LC Smith Featherweight
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

What I liked best about my 16ga FW was the receiver is small enough to look like it's a 20ga - and handles like one, too (a wand).

AFAIK, a varnish was used on the stocks.

I would first try an application of Howard's Feed-N-Wax to moisten/preserve what finish is left.

Post subject: Re: LC Smith Featherweight
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:29 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I have some already on hand, I'll give it a shot. And I agree, it really points beautifully, and comes in lighter than my 28ga o/u!