ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:21 pm 
Field Grade

How do I go about determining my length of pull? What type of measurement do I take?

Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:37 pm 
Crown Grade

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Length of pull is the first component of gunfit that needs to be determined.

You need to be able to mount the gun smoothly without with pushing the gun out away from your body (to prevent it from hitting your body) and then pulling it back into your shoulder pocket. If this happens it’s a little too long.

Secondly the gun is too short if when you mount the gun you need to raise it up then pull it way back into by our shoulder pocket.

You should be able to smoothly mount the gun to your face while hopefully at the same time the gun lands into your shoulder pocket.

The last thing that needs consideration is that once the gun is mounted your arm is bent at 90 degrees and it feels comfortable. Not jammed together and not stretched out.

These are the three things that matter for Length of Pull in shotgun fit. All the other “rules” that are commonly discussed don’t necessarily apply to shotgun fitting. For example the “nose to thumb knuckle” rule is a rifle fitting rule and doesn’t apply.

Hope this helps.

Doug

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I like the idea of raising the shotgun up to my face , then pulling it back into my shoulder pocket !
With practice and shooting with a Vest or Wintertime Coat , it becomes a natural move while
focusing on the line of the target .

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ravenanme wrote:
I like the idea of raising the shotgun up to my face , then pulling it back into my shoulder pocket !
With practice and shooting with a Vest or Wintertime Coat , it becomes a natural move while

Not sure if you are responding to my post put to be clear my intent way to say that hopefully you raise it to your face and the Gun is pretty much landing in your shoulder pocket at the same time. That would be ideal. Of course not everybody’s body shape allows for this but the goal is to get as close to this as possible.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 am 
Field Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
Ravenanme wrote:

Not sure if you are responding to my post put to be clear my intent way to say that hopefully you raise it to your face and the Gun is pretty much landing in your shoulder pocket at the same time. That would be ideal. Of course not everybody’s body shape allows for this but the goal is to get as close to this as possible.

I see what your saying,I have had stocks to long and hang up before. Guess that is why length of pull is important to every individual .