ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marlin LC Smith SxS left barrel doesn't fire
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, I recently purchased a lightly used Marlin LC Smith SxS 12 gauge, and I noticed while at the skeet range that the left barrel doesn't seem to fire. It seems like when I pull the trigger the first time, the right barrel fires, and then I pull the trigger again, there's an audible click but no shot going off. I used some snap caps and it seems like there is an indentation on the snap cap in the right barrel but not in the left barrel.

So perhaps the firing pin isn't striking the primer. Is there a simple fix for this? Or do I have to take it to the gunsmith? Would Marlin, the manufacturer, be able to fix this?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Marlin LC Smith SxS left barrel doesn't fire
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Check the condition of the firing pins by firing the gun on snap caps or empty shells. Remove the forend BEFORE pushing the top lever and breaking the gun, and then remove the barrels. You should see two firing pin tips protruding above the standing breech approximately .040" to .060". Likely you'll find the lefthand firing pin is broken off.

Replacing the firing pin on a SXS is a job for an experienced double gun gunsmith as there are a couple of critical dimensions to ensure the gun operates properly. I would suspect Marlin would have spare firing pins.