ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 loose piston seal and piston?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:47 am 
Utility Grade

I recently bought a Remington 1100 and shot some target loads and slugs over Thanksgiving. Now it seems that the piston seal and piston are loose and slide back and forth when the action is open and I'm moving the gun around. When the action is closed, no sliding (of course). I don't recall the seal and piston sliding like this before shooting it.

One thing I did do midway through the shooting session was pop the magazine spring retainer to inspect the spring but I put it back into place and had no problems. I *think* this is when I started to hear the sliding noise. No idea if this matters.

I'm very new to semi-auto shotguns so forgive me if this is a stupid question but did I do something to cause this sliding? If so, how do I stop it? I've searched here and all over the net for related info and come up with nothing helpful and the Remington manual doesn't seem to help either.

I'm suspecting the slugs may have something to do with it? I think for heavier loads I may have had to change the rings/seals accordingly but I'm in the dark here.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 loose piston seal and piston?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:59 am 

I have never heard of this, but why does it "seem" that they are sliding back and forth? Have you observed this or are you just guessing? If they are moving; replace them, but if you're just looking for the source of a noise, I'd look elsewhere. Perhaps a duck plug moving in the magazine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I don't think the loads have anything to do with it, was this a used 1100?

If the gun cycles fine with lighter loads, I wouldn't worry about it. But, the piston sealing ring(s) are the second place I look when one isn't cycling properly, gas ports the first.

Over time with heat and wear, that ring (and even the gas shroud on high mileage target guns) wear enough to lose necessary gas needed to cycle lighter loads, but if only the ring, a cheap fix.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:42 pm 
Utility Grade

mike orlen wrote:
I have never heard of this, but why does it "seem" that they are sliding back and forth? Have you observed this or are you just guessing? If they are moving; replace them, but if you're just looking for the source of a noise, I'd look elsewhere. Perhaps a duck plug moving in the magazine.

Sorry, should have been more specific. They DO slide back and forth, I've seen it with the forend off.

TexasTon,

Pretty sure that the gun was functioning fine with slugs after I noticed the sliding. I noticed it for sure after we stopped shooting and then saw them slide with the forend off.

It was a used 1100. I'll look to replace the piston and piston seal if that's going to solve my problem. Replacing those two parts with new ones should stop the sliding? If the gun is functioning properly with the sliding is it dangerous to operate because of the old/loose parts?

Thanks for your responses guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Bad news, good news.

I had disassembled the 1100 for a good cleaning and the feed latch came off. Apparently this happens a lot and I'm going to have to take it to a gunsmith to be restaked. Good news is the gunsmith told me the sliding of the piston and piston seal is perfectly normal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Let's properly define our terms here:

gas piston seal
gas piston
barrel seal (Viton O-ring)

On newer 1100s, the gas piston and piston seal are now a one piece assembly.

Regardless, the piston & piston seal are supposed to move freely along the magazine tube when the action is open.

If these pistons cannot move freely, there's a good chance the gun will not cycle properly. I've seen several shooters start cussing at dad's old 1100 for not working correctly, when the problem was simply that the piston was "stuck" to the mag tube due to crud build-up.

I own two current production 1100s, and both sets of pistons assemblies slid freely from Day One - and still do today.

As for the feed latch, it can be helpful to drive the trigger pins out with the ejection port down - to reduce the chances of displacing the RH feed latch. Otherwise, staking is primarily a convenience - since you will need 3 small hands to re-assemble an 1100 with unstaked feed latches!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 pm 
Utility Grade

WinM12 wrote:
Let's properly define our terms here:

gas piston seal
gas piston
barrel seal (Viton O-ring)

On newer 1100s, the gas piston and piston seal are now a one piece assembly.

Regardless, the piston & piston seal are supposed to move freely along the magazine tube when the action is open.

If these pistons cannot move freely, there's a good chance the gun will not cycle properly. I've seen several shooters start cussing at dad's old 1100 for not working correctly, when the problem was simply that the piston was "stuck" to the mag tube due to crud build-up.

I own two current production 1100s, and both sets of pistons assemblies slid freely from Day One - and still do today.

As for the feed latch, it can be helpful to drive the trigger pins out with the ejection port down - to reduce the chances of displacing the RH feed latch. Otherwise, staking is primarily a convenience - since you will need 3 small hands to re-assemble an 1100 with unstaked feed latches!

My 1100 according to Remington has a manufacture date of 1970, probably before the one piece assembly became popular. I probably didn't notice the sliding earlier and then when I did notice it I overreacted. No worries there, it looks like I have no problems on that end.

What you said about displacing the feed latch is pretty on target. I imagine had I followed that advice the feed latch would still be on. Still, I'll feel a lot more comfortable with it properly staked since I plan on shooting the 1100 a lot, be it at the range or at the trap range.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:23 pm 
Crown Grade

djc wrote:
since I plan on shooting the 1100 a lot, be it at the range or at the trap range.

Sounds great! :wink:

I own 6 shotguns, but my two 1100s are my primary "go to" guns. In fact, I don't think I've ever gone to the range without my 1100 Sporting 12 - regardless of whatever else I've packed that day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I listen for the sliding noise between skeet or 5-stand rounds on my 11-87; if I don't hear it with the action open, it's time for a drop of RemOil on the tube and a drop on the piston.

NewtoSkeet
NRA Member
11-87 Premier 12/28
11-87 Upland 20/23
Franchi Diamond 28 O/U

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 am 
Utility Grade

Just took my new 1100 to the range yesterday and noticed the same thing. I’m new at this and didn’t have anyone to ask. Glad I stumbled on this board...14 years later after the thread started.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You do not need to restake the latch, either. The pins and the trigger group hold the latch in the proper position anyway. I have one I Superglued 10+ years ago. I have the staking tool and will never stake another one. You see a LOT of 1100s/11-87s with marred receivers from staking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Virginian wrote:
You do not need to restake the latch, either. The pins and the trigger group hold the latch in the proper position anyway. I have one I Superglued 10+ years ago. I have the staking tool and will never stake another one. You see a LOT of 1100s/11-87s with marred receivers from staking.

You need to use channel locks and, and cushion the outside grip so it does not mar the receiver A piece of inner tube works great.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 pm 
Limited Edition

I use a small dab of JB Weld on either side of the hole in the receiver that the forward pin goes thru. Two or 3 layers of masking tape to protect exterior of receiver from the two small C-clamps that hold the feed latch in position overnight. Make sure forward trigger pin goes thru receiver easily before letting JB Weld set up. Trim any excess with sharp knife. Reinstall trigger pins with serial numbers facing up/ejection port down. Have also done a temp fix by sliding a very small flat screwdriver thru the larger rear hole and depressing the aft end of feed latch while installing the trigger assembly. The trigger housing will capture the feed latch in place before contacting the screwdriver.