ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca 37 jamming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've been off this forum for months--had a grand pheasant hunt in 20" of snow in Nebraska in December--but now I'm back, with a problem as usual. My old Ithaca 37 is jamming. What happens is, when I fire the shell and then pump, the hull is ejected; but both shells in the magazine are (sometimes) released. This creates the world's own jam, with both shells in the receiver, none in the chamber; I have to stop and poke the bottom shell back into the magazine, and then I can close the chamber with the other shell in it. This seldom leaves the grouse in range.

A temporary solution is to use only two shells; but can some of you suggest a better fix? My guess, and it's only that, is that the little lever that holds the shells in the magazine has weakened, and doesn't spring back in place quickly enough to block the second shell from following the first; but if so, what should I do about it? Are parts available for the 37? Thanks as always for the great help this Forum provides,
Beach004

Post subject: Re: Ithaca 37 jamming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looks like Numrich still has most of the internals for the popular guages. Better get it fixed while you still can.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem. ... el=076Zz37

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:41 pm 

Sounds like that secondary shell stop is not working and needs either adjustment or replacing.....sounds like the Ithaca 37 might well be going back into production....

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pb ... 70318/1006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

webbee wrote:
Looks like Numrich still has most of the internals for the popular gauges. Better get it fixed while you still can.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem. ... el=076Zz37

Thanks! It may already be too late--Numrich is out of stock on the Shell Stop Spring Left, though still having the Right one; my problem, if this is the source of my "double-shelling," is to determine which of these stops is causing the problem; I believe it is the left one; in any case, it does not appear to be broken; so perhaps it is only the "Spring Shell Stop Spring," which is still in stock, that I need to replace. That's cheap, and might even be easy--though for one with my limited 'smithing skills, almost nothing is easy.
Beach004

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Beach,

I'd contact this gunsmith:

Les Hovencamp
Diamond Gunsmithing
211 Dey St.
Ithaca, NY 14850
607-273-4510
www.diamondgunsmithing.com

He spent 28 years as a 'smith in the Ithaca factory. If he can't diagnose the problem, I don't think there's anybody on the planet who can. You can also contact him on this board under his screen name, Lecky56.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks, Bonasa. I went over to the website you provided, and sent a note to Les, since I don't know how to address a note to someone specific through this forum. Hope he'll have an answer. I note, by the way, that Brownell's does not have the parts I might need, so Numrich will be "it." Or maybe I'll settle for two shots; double gunners do it all the time...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Les at Diamond Gunsmithing wrote me that it can be fixed for less than $50, which is good news; I may try to replace the retainer spring myself just for the satisfaction it gives me, before I turn to the professionals. Mailing a gun is right much of a pain, I imagine--haven't done it in thirty years, at least.
Beach004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I would buy a new shell stop as I own two deluxe models and never had a problem.
Go to the Ithaca site and look at internal parts and you can buy whatever you want.
Sounds to me that your shell stop is worn or bent.
As for Ithaca parts just got a new 26" Vent rib interchoke barrel sent out to me and have even got 2 lefthanded safetys sent out.
Thats was the only thing I could ever find wrong with the Ithaca is were the safety is
they are not flash for a lefty but a lefty safety is available and very easy to fit.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Heavens! This is so long ago, I have trouble recalling what I actually did; but if an aging memory serves, I wound up sending the gun off for the repair, and whatever was done was the ticket--I have since carried this gun and it's 28" twin several times to Nebraska and South Dakota to shoot pheasant, and they have performed flawlessly (which is more than I can say for my shooting), sometimes in 8 degree weather; it's a relief not to worry that my automatic won't cycle, or that two shells from my Beretta double won't be enough.

That said, much as I love these guns, buying some new shell stops might just be good insurance!
Thanks,
Beach004

Post subject: Re: Ithaca 37 jamming redux
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

I realize I haven't posted here in donkey's ages. Reminds me of the little boy who never spoke a word till he was five years old, to the sorrow of his parents. Finally one morning, he suddenly blurted out, "Mom, you burned the biscuits." Well, she was of course overjoyed, but asked, "Why son, haven't you spoken before??" And he replied, "Well, up till now, everything's been all right."
OK, apologies for a joke maybe older than I am (77); but it's still the same topic, though a different problem, even a different Ithaca 37. It's become my go-to gun, for pheasants in South Dakota, doves in North Carolina, because weather doesn't affect it. But, once in an unpredictable while, it messes up royally. Pay attention, because I think the details matter:

So. I shoot; doesn't depend on what shell, it's happened with my Remington reloads, with Federal target loads, with high brass pheasant loads. I pump; and then discover that: the spent hull is still in the chamber; the next shell has been released and is jammed up under the bolt. The only quick way to fix this is to remove the gun barrel, then pry the spent shell out, or drop a pocketknife down the barrel to dislodge the shell; it's not tightly held at all. Of course meanwhile the doves or pheasants are flying all over me.
I have looked at the two extractors that grab the shell; they seem to be sharp, and they move back and forth; I have cleaned up the two notches in the gun barrel into which the extractors fit when the breach is closed.

I'm aware of two possible causes. One is weak extractor springs. But if this were the case, I'd expect the problem to occur often, almost every time; that's not the case: maybe once in 50 or so. The other, and I don't even know if this is possible: could it be that I am in such a hurry that I "short shuck," and that's enough to release the next shell, but not quite throw out the spent one? I don't understand the workings well enough to know if this can happen.

While I await an answer here, I will experiment, by putting a spent shell in the barrel, two live ones in the magazine, and trying to slowly move the pump and see if I can duplicate this problem; but I'm not sure that's close enough to "field" conditions to tell me anything. So I'm hoping one of you can. For doves, it barely matters; for pheasants, it's very different!
Thanks,
Beach004
[Update] I tried the slow shucking test: no way can I get the new shell to feed before the hull is ejected. So it sounds like it's going to be the extractors, or more likely their springs. These are cheap enough; anyone know how hard it might be to replace them myself? Ithaca has a long time horizon for repairs, and I'd like this gun to go to South Dakota with me in early November.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

A good chamber cleaning and proper alignment of the extractor notches will with 95% probability solve your problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:39 am 
Presentation Grade

It's now with a gunsmith, along with two extractors and two springs I got from Ithaca; stay tuned to see if this helps.