ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Fabarm XLR5 LR - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 am 
Crown Grade

Nobody (company ) makes products that are perfect all the time. But Fabarm/CG makes pretty good shootin` irons! :lol:

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

4th. down wrote:

Snooky, shot a XLR5 Velocity (30") yesterday for 1st. time. Normally shoot a MX8 Perazzi.

Really, really, impressed with this auto, and I mean stunning when I went to a Kicks/Smoke IC choke shooting reloads of 7/8 oz. @ 1300 fps. on a tough sporting course, shooting mostly doubles to get use to the moving dynamics of the gun. Have owned 4, 391's and now shoot only Perazzi but this will now change. Can't believe I'm saying that but it is what it is.

The Kicks/Smoke IC choke equalled the Mod. Fabarm choke in distance and breaks (easily out to 45 yds.) I was stunned, and so were my squadmates. We took the gun apart and cleaned it after shooting - simple for a auto, about 10 minutes - max. Everyone in the squad shoots P guns but they were very impressed with this XLR5 Velocity.

My 7/8 ounce reloads were 7.5's @ 1200 fps. And I shot the entire day using a Muller #2. I had the Fabarm #5 (I believe that is a 5/10 which is a U.S. mod choke) in my bag in case I thought I needed it, but the Muller #2 works for nearly all SC targets.

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Winchester Model 12 16 Gage
Michigan Shooting Centers
National Shooting Center

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Nobody (company ) makes products that are perfect all the time. But Fabarm/CG makes pretty good shootin` irons! :lol:

True. I recon it's emotional artistic license.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Has the XLR5 been discontinued? The used market seems to be flooded at the moment with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:18 pm 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Has the XLR5 been discontinued? The used market seems to be flooded at the moment with them.

If it has been, Fabarm hasn`t removed them from their website.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

If it has been, Fabarm hasn`t removed them from their website.

I spoke with Fabarm USA about 2 weeks ago trying to find a rt. hand 30" XLR5 FR new - there were not any available that I could find. There were some used ones and one new with a 32" barrel and 1 left handed 30". Fabarm said the model had been discontinued so I purchased a L4S Sporting 30" - glad I did.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:23 am 
Limited Edition

I wonder if they only discontinued the FR model, or the entire XLR5 line?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

I am sure it is the FR only. For example their Waterfowl model is built on the XLR platform. Just this year they introduced the XLR5 Composite Hunter so it seems that they are not dropping the line.

A quick call or email would give you a more definitive answer than mine. Curious what you find out.

FWIW I just saw this Guiness Book of World Record set by John Yeiser using an XLR5. 64:14 seconds for 25 ATA Trap targets from 16 yards! Old news for some as this was done in 2013 but still impressive IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQ4uEJZPJo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

If it's discontinued easy to see why. I never saw one at any SC competition events. Saw lots of A400,391 and 390's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Just an observation and question. Do any representatives of ANY gun brands regularly peruse this board and make comments? This is a case in point. A Fabarm representative could easily answer such a question. Same thing could apply for any of the other brands. Just wonderin`.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Just an observation and question. Do any representatives of ANY gun brands regularly peruse this board and make comments? This is a case in point. A Fabarm representative could easily answer such a question. Same thing could apply for any of the other brands. Just wonderin`.

That makes too much sense! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jcbabb wrote:
or the entire XLR5 line?

Not remotely the entire line. Several models are not available in the U.S.:
XLR 5 OILED
XLR 5 OILED ACCURACY
XLR COMPOSITE
XLR COMPOSITE ACCURACY
XLR BULRUSH MAX 5
XLR FOREST
XLR COLUMBA PALUMBUS
XLR WATERFOWLER WESTERN

http://www.fabarm.com/web_eng/macrocategoria.asp?i=2

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

That makes too much sense! :wink:

^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

jcbabb wrote:
I wonder if they only discontinued the FR model, or the entire XLR5 line?

As expected it is just the FR version. See response from FABARM below.

"Tom Smith <[email protected]>
2:27 PM (3 hours ago)
to me

William,
I am very sorry for the late response, I am working remotely and your email just popped up.
We just discontinued the FR - replaced by the L4S, we still continue to make the XLR5 in the Composite, LR, AR and Waterfowler.

Thanks. Tom"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

This is a joint Guerini Summit Ltd. and Fabarm XLR5 update.

It has been awhile since I've really done some shooting with my XLR5 LR, but today, I went to Joshua Creek for some pre-Nationals practice. I took the XLR5 along with my Guerini Summit Ltd., with which I have accumulated nearly 38k rounds, and planned to use at the Nationals.

I hesitated before packing the XLR5 in my truck as I thought it unwise to shoot it before the Nationals because I was sure my Guerini would continue to be my go-to gun. Why confuse my muscle memory? Why introduce a different feeling gun to my hands and eyes. I new I really shouldn't do it . . . but I did.

And the unthinkable happened - I could hardly miss with the Fabarm XLR5. It felt so good at pointing. I could move it with more smoothness than my beloved Guerini. I felt more confidence with it. This wasn't supposed to happen! One of my shooting buddies (my main "advisor") who I get lessons from occasionally, told me I ought to shoot this gun in the Nationals. He was watching me closely, and said I moved so much better with that gun, that I kept my head on the stock better, and that I needed to commit to it for the big show.

So I think I will and see what happens. I didn't shoot any fast, close crossers today; I didn't shoot any rabbits; There were plenty of teals, chondels, quartering targets, and edgy birds. I could "see" them better than I have for some time. I shot gun down on many shots, so my FITASC event should be OK. I didn't have any pairs that were close/far, where a single choke would have to suffice (I used a Muller 2 for everything, as I have in the past). We'll see. I don't really know what the XLR5's long-term durability will be, but whatever I learn, I'll pass on to y'all.

I will add this paragraph regarding the Guerini and the primary differences in the guns. The Fabarm LOP is about 16 1/4". The Guerini is 15 1/2". I can move my left arm out on the Fabarm fore arm a bit farther - the fore end is much longer. All this may contribute to a more muted but controlled swing of the gun, even though it is lighter. I will try and lengthen my Guerini LOP accordingly and see how it feels. Maybe I'll try and grip the fore arm out further, but that will mean partially getting my left hand/fingers on the barrel, which may feel odd. We'll see and go from there. Shooting is a continual learning and growing experience. I think that's what keep it fun and interesting.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 4040.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8