ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Fabarm XLR5 LR - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi guys - New Fabarm XLR5 LR owner. I have a post on the Huglu forum, where I've been logging rounds, issues, experiences, etc. I plan on the same thing with my new XLR5.

I've taken it out a couple of times already and so far the gun is great. I installed the stock spacer the gives 5mm more drop. I really wanted even more drop, so I asked the folks at Fabarm if I could purchase another set of spacers and install a second 5mm drop spacer, but they nixed the idea saying that Italy feels stock damage could result.

New gun pics follow below. This gun has really nice wood, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. I'll be regularly updating the shot count, and I've got some experiences and probably questions I'm sure you guys will have great input on.

First few times out, I shot a variety of loads to see how versatile it is. I shoot sporting clays, and participate in as many NSCA shoots as I can in my area, so I only have target loads. Shot one box @ of the following factory loads: Rio 1oz. 1210 fps, Gun Club 1 1/8 oz. 1145 fps, Herter 1 oz. 1290 fps. I also shot a bunch of my 1 oz. 1160 fps Gun Club reloads (700X, Claybuster CB100-12, Win 209 Primers) - all 7 1/2 shot. Everything cycled thru except one Herters, which could have been operator error :shock: I also learned that the round in the mag tube needs to be seated all the way, or the gun won't shoot at all. Today, all 125 rounds were my reloads - no probs.

Basically, after 250 rounds, the gun seems dependable, accurate, soft shooting, and fairly easy to clean (but not nearly as easy as my CZ Sporter O/U). It also seems a bit louder than my O/U as the chamber opens up to eject the round and a good deal of combustion is still going on right in front of my face. Standard S/A stuff, but I've got 13k+ rounds thru my CZ O/U the past couple of years. I can get used to this XLR5 though. It's growing on me quickly.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 250.

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Winchester Model 12 16 Gage
Michigan Shooting Centers
National Shooting Center

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by oinodam on Sun May 10, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fabarm XLR5 LR - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Andy - I have an XLR5 LR that I have adjusted to fit me perfectly...which involves three shims (to get the cast on and drop I need), and an additional dropped and toe'd out butt plate/Kick-Eez pad. Point is, if you need to add a couple more shims, it is totally do-able. I have had no issues whatsoever.

I love my XLR5 for all the reasons so many people have mentioned. I expect you will have many thousands of rounds through yours with no problem. I haven't kept as diligent a shell count as you had with your CZ, but I'm sure I've put at least 4,000 through mine so far.

And after a short time, you won't even notice the S/A action happening.

Welcome to the club.

Good luck and safe shooting.

PM or contact [email protected] for details

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Trapperjohn01 wrote:
Andy - I have an XLR5 LR that I have adjusted to fit me perfectly...which involves three shims (to get the cast on and drop I need), and an additional dropped and toe'd out butt plate/Kick-Eez pad. Point is, if you need to add a couple more shims, it is totally do-able. I have had no issues whatsoever.

Trapper - Thanx for the input. You have done exactly what I was considering, but I figured I would only need one more 5mm drop spacer. I can mount and get a good sight picture with the single 5mm drop spacer, but I'm mounting a fraction higher than I have been used to with very light cheek pressure (which I like). Do your stack of three (3x5mm) drop spacers look OK? Did the stock clamp up without any issues?

I had a drop/cast spacer kit in my cart on Fabarm's site when I decided to ask one of their gunsmiths if they had any issues with it. I assume their objection was that the additional drop of multiple spacers would, over time, accrue cumulative damage to the stock that might eventually manifest as a crack. I wouldn't have thought so, and might still add one more anyway.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Looking forward to following your XLR5 experience. Put 100 rounds through mine today and enjoyed it.

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)
Fabarm XLR5 FR

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Andy - sorry I haven't responded to your questions - I've been tied up with work.

Since posting pictures on this site is such a PITA, send me a PM with your text number, and I'll send you some images of my shims so you can see how it looks when done.

In all, very straightforward to do, but depending on which way (angle direction) the accumulated shims are stacked, it may be necessary to bend the stock rod very slightly (easy to do by hand so it bends at the base where it threads into the receiver) to keep it centered in the hole of the stock so the nut goes on easily and centered. Also, since the shims are initially flat and the mating surfaces of the stock and receiver are curved, and depending on the total number of shims, you may have to compress the stock onto the receiver a bit to get the nut started on the threads of the rod. I had to with three shims, but you may not need to with two. Once the nut is started cleanly, just tighten it up snugly using a socket. The shims will line-up correctly and conform to the contour as you tighten the nut. Once done, it looks fine and normal.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Trapper - PM sent. Thanx.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just purchased the LR model. I shot a 100 rounds through it Saturday and noticed when I close the bolt on a chambered round the gun makes a sound like a tuning fork. The gun worked great otherwise. Has anyone else noticed this with their gun.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

murfer wrote:
I just purchased the LR model. I shot a 100 rounds through it Saturday and noticed when I close the bolt on a chambered round the gun makes a sound like a tuning fork. The gun worked great otherwise. Has anyone else noticed this with their gun.

murf,

With only 250 rounds thru mine, I haven't noticed the noise you describe, just the standard SA bolt closing solid "chunk." I'm going out tomorrow - I'll let you know if I hear any ringing.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Murf,
I have a Velocity high rib, first edition, and yes mine makes a tuning fork sound when the bolt closes. Always have since new, now three years old. After a while you will not even hear it. I think it is the action bar as it is the only thing shaped like a tuning fork.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

murfer wrote:

Put another 50 through mine today. No tuning fork noise. It has failed to cycle on occasion with Winchester AA Low Recoil 7/8 oz, 980FPS. I clean the piston and the part it is in as well as the end of the tube the piston slides on ( sorry, I don't know the technical names of these parts) each time I shoot and clean the firing pin assembly and the part on which it slides weekly so I don't know what the issue is.

Fabarm XLR5 FR

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Azraz wrote:
Murf,
I have a Velocity high rib, first edition, and yes mine makes a tuning fork sound when the bolt closes. Always have since new, now three years old. After a while you will not even hear it. I think it is the action bar as it is the only thing shaped like a tuning fork.

It was a little weird at first, but I quickly got used to it. Mine is a low mileage used gun. I have 30 days to try it out. I really like the gun so far. I'm going to use it at a 3 day Trap shoot this weekend. Is the only difference between generations the stock dimensions or is there some mechanical differences also? I see mine was originally purchased in 2013.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

murfer - the only difference is the stock dimensions, specifically the grip reach. It is possible you have the last and final version (commonly referred to as "Third generation"), but maybe not. 2013 was the transition from the second to the third generation grip.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gbanker - I am pretty sure you've read other posts I've put up regarding lubrication of the XLR5, so I won't duplicate that info here.

What is the issue you had cycling the Win AA Low Recoil?

Assuming you are keeping the gun lubed properly (and I do know some owners who run the gun dry everywhere):

If it was a failure to eject (FTE), your issue is most likely the shotshell. The gun operates based on a combination of gas pressure and momentum to cycle the spent shell and feed the next. The load size is not the issue at all, as these guns will very reliably cycle any factory 7/8 oz. load that has a muzzle velocity of around 1200 fps and higher. I think the low speed of 980 fps is not providing a sufficient momentum component to eject the shell 100% of the time. I use 7/8 oz. 1200 fps Federals with no issue at all. Fabarm uses Fiocchi 7/8 oz. Trainer Loads, fired from the hip, when they test the gun for cycling at the factory. I have shot these loads as well, and they are fantastic.

If you were looking to the 7/8 oz. Win AA 980 fps to minimize recoil (with a gun that has among the lowest felt recoil of any S/A available), I can tell you that you would not notice much difference at all between that shell and other 7/8 oz. loads at 1200 fps.

If the issue is failure to fire (FTF), where the spent shell ejected, and the bolt closed on the next shell, but it didn't fire (or fired a bit delayed) when you pulled the trigger, the issue is that the bolt is not closing and locking fully (into battery). This is nearly always caused by drag in the action, usually due to inadequate lubrication, but can be caused by excessive gunk and dirt, especially in the bolt lock (on the barrel extension: that half-round, scooped-out looking area about the size of your thumb nail).

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Trapperjohn for the info.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Trapperjohn, yes, FTE so I will give the Federals a try. I have been using the 980FPS Windchesters to minimize recoil for practice.

After each outing I have been cleaning the piston assembly and the upper end of the mag tube. Weekly ( approximate 400 - 500 rounds) I also clean the entire mag tube, action arms and the outside of the trigger assembly. Re-lube and ready for another week. So, I think it's the ammo, not an issue with gunk in the gun.

I have read your posts and will review them again.

Sort of hijacked this thread so while I'm at it I would like some opinions as to chokes for sporting clays. Have only been able to shoot sporting clays a couple of times due to where I live. I've used a Muller U1 choke as I understand most targets are shot at 35 yards or less. Any opinions from XLR5 shooters?

Thanks

Fabarm XLR5 FR

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gbanker - there's a whole other thread regarding Muller chokes in the XLR5.

Here's the link:

viewtopic.php?f=237&t=417739

I am in the process of getting some Mullers for my gun for skeet and SC. I am definitely getting a U2 for SC, since that will be well suite for 95% of the targets I'll shoot. I am still deciding between a U0 and U1 for skeet.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shot the XLR5 LR today, back to back with my trusty CZ, switching between guns during a round on my home SC course, putting 85 rounds thru each gun. I may be a bit premature in this assessment, but I have to admit this Fabarm is feeling so natural, better pointing, and really smooth, that I feel more comfortable with it than my 13,785 round CZ Sporter Standard Grade. Switching back and forth, I REALLY noticed the sweet, light, adjustable trigger. Wow! That almost makes the gun perfect.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 335.

I also have several things to comment on here based on feedback and observations from you guys on previous posts:

Trapper - Got your pics - thanx. You've done quite a lot of modifications to that gun. By the way you've got it set up, I know why your forum name is trapperjohn :?

murfer - Now that you pointed out the "tuning fork" noise, I noticed it on my gun as well. Thanx :roll: Actually, I usually hold on to the charge handle when I close the bolt, preventing the slam and the twang, which really doesn't bother me at all. I think Azraz is correct. The action bar IS shaped like a tuning fork. Good call.

gbanker - 7/8 oz. 980 fps loads are pretty light. My 2 cent guess is that there is simply not enough energy from that load - providing your gun is clean and lubed properly, which it sounds like it is, and unless you shoot in the arctic circle, the season should be relatively warm. Trapper is correct about recoil. The XLR5 (any style) has negligible recoil with normal to fairly hot target loads. 980 fps seems too wimpy for this gun to consider.

Looking forward to more fun from the gun and more great back-and-forth from you guys as well.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oinodam - glad you got the pics.

Actually, I chose Trapperjohn01 as my screen name simply because trap was the first game I ever shot at about the same time that I registered on forums, it's what got me and the family interested in shooting clays, and I liked the character on the TV show M*A*S*H. I mostly shoot skeet and SC, with occasional 5-stand. Trap is actually my least favorite of the clay games. Go figure.

The reason my gun is set up the way it is has everything to do with fit, and the main reason I got the XLR5. I have a long-ish neck, somewhat high cheek bones, and wide shoulders. So that's the configuration I need to sight straight down the rib without much contortion. Ends up being about 7/8" cast on (I shoot LH), total of 1.5" DAC, 4" DAH, and the toe canted out about 1/4".

A bit unusual I suppose, but at least no one ever asks to borrow my gun!

Glad to hear you're liking your Fabarm, and looking forward to this next journey.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Took the XLR5 out yesterday to my home SC club and shot the intermediate course. Still getting acquainted with my new buddy. Put 125 rounds thru her without an issue. I'm still using some odds and ends ammo besides my Gun Club reloads to assure she can be fed almost anything. A box of Herter's 1oz. target loads and a box of Estate 1 1/8 oz. Dove loads. Everything cycled perfectly. I've been cleaning my new gun after every use. I know some scoff at this, but I don't feel comfortable putting it away in my safe with dirty innards. I do like the clanky gas piston that is an audible reminder that the works are still free and unbound by carbon fouling. It is comforting to hear that as you travel from station to station knowing the gun is free and ready to cycle.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 460.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Since we're counting I'm up to 1,525.

Had an interesting event happen yesterday. After shooting about 50 some rounds the bolt handle went flying. Surprised me as I find the handle a bit hard to remove when cleaning the gun. And as the area where I shoot is covered in stones about the size and color of the bolt handle I couldn't find it. I have contacted Fabarm and am waiting to hear back from them so won't be shooting that gun for a while.

Fabarm XLR5 FR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next