ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fabarm XLR5 LR - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Andy, would adding the weights make it feel more like your O/U?

Just how heavy is your CG Summit Limited? The XLR5 isn't exactly a lightweight, and yet you say it's 'much lighter'.

New XLR5 shooter. Actually, I've yet to take the gun out, and it isn't new - only new to me.
Probably the first generation? How do I tell?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

twiki wrote:
Andy, would adding the weights make it feel more like your O/U?

Just how heavy is your CG Summit Limited? The XLR5 isn't exactly a lightweight, and yet you say it's 'much lighter'.

New XLR5 shooter. Actually, I've yet to take the gun out, and it isn't new - only new to me.
Probably the first generation? How do I tell?

Thanks.

That's a good question twiki. And you're right, the XLR5 isn't a hunting gun that's 6-7 lbs. My Fabarm XLR5, with one balance weight on the forearm and a 30" aluminum 3/8" Add-A-Rib weighs in at 9 lbs. 0.9 oz. My CG Summit Ltd. with 3/4" Add-A-Rib and kinetic balancer in the stock weighs in at 9 lbs 8 oz., nearly 1/2 pound heavier. But the difference isn't weight, it's balance and feel. The XLR5 just "feels" lighter but the CG "feels" more balanced.

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Winchester Model 12 16 Gage
Michigan Shooting Centers
National Shooting Center

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Since my Summit Ltd is in getting checked out for a split choke tube, the Fabarm came off the bench for a local weekend NSCA event. I had some difficulty with one station's crossers (dropped 5 of 8 ), and dropped 9 on the first 4 stations, but ended up with an 82. Shot 45/50 on 5-stand, which I was really pleased with, but only 2 A-class shooters means no punch. I did notice, off-and-on throughout the day the action working on this nice semi-auto, but I could get real comfortable with that if I kept shooting her. 175 trouble-free rounds.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 3345.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's been almost a year and a half since I shot my XLR5 LR. I sent in the Summit Limited for a pit stop and to repair a slight crack in the fore arm. I must say, it didn't take long to remember why this Fabarm XLR5 LR is such a nice gun to shoot.

I had set up a training time with Tom Mack to get me past a "shooting mediocre-to-crappy" plateau (Is "crappy" a plateau?) at the 74 Ranch Resort in Campbellton, TX, so I had to take the Fabarm. He actually adjusted the comb better than I had it via a pattering board and also told me I'd be better off with the removal of the front sight bead and my Sight Blinder which I have installed on all my shotguns. That was a bit hard to accept, but I went along with him, and I'm not sorry. I'll have to do the same to my Guerini when I get it back.

I went thru 7 boxes of shells during my 2-hour lesson, then I went to the NSC to complete my Summer league play and a little more practicing what I learned from Tom. In all I blew thru a flat in the Fabarm, with only one minor snag. The bolt didn't lock open after a second shot, but eventually worked itself out with the firing of another round.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 3595.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

Last edited by oinodam on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:45 pm 

oinodam wrote:
It's been almost a year and a half since I shot my XLR5 LR. I sent in the Summit Limited for a pit stop and to repair a slight crack in the fore arm. I must say, it didn't take long to remember why this Fabarm XLR5 LR is such a nice gun to shoot.

I had set up a training time with Tom Mack to get me past a "shooting mediocre-to-crappy" plateau (Is "crappy" a plateau?) at the 74 Ranch Resort in Campbellton, TX, so I had to take the Fabarm. He actually adjusted the comb better than I had it via a pattering board and also told me I'd be better off with the removal of the front sight bead and my Sight Blinder which I have installed on all my shotguns. That was a bit hard to accept, but I went along with him, and I'm not sorry. I'll have to do the same to my Guerini when I get it back.

I went thru 7 boxes of shells during my 2-hour lesson, then I went to the NSC to complete my Summer league play and a little more practicing what I learned from Tom. In all I blew thru a flat in the Fabarm, with only one minor snag. The bolt didn't lock open after a second shot, but eventually worked itself out with the firing of another round.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 3595.

Call Fabarm and get a spare ring that connects the barrel assembly to the block below. There is a youtube showing how to install. They will break when least expected.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:41 am 
Presentation Grade

I hope to follow this thread in the future as I love my XLR-FR(LH). I only have about 1500 rds through mine, but I have had several Failures to fire/light hits. On every one, the shell fired the second time, and on every one, the round loaded in the magazine was not fully inserted. So as mentioned earlier, just make sure the second shell is fully inserted in the magazine- not a gun problem, but an operator problem!

Really love the gun. It is a pleasure, being left handed, to have a gun that fits me, and is well made(ie, a quality gun). I also have a left hand Beretta, and I like it as a back up/ hunting gun, but the quality of materials and workmanship on the XLR is significantly better, and well worth the price differential. I really don’t need, or even want another shotgun, especially in 12 ga, at my age, but the Fabarms L4S is starting to look pretty good to me, and it is available in a Sporting Clays version, and in left hand! Well, I might not die with the most guns, but at least they will be quality guns! Hope others keep this tread alive(Oinodam!) so we can all learn more- happy shooting!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

USAFA71 wrote:
I hope to follow this thread in the future . . .

Thanx USAF. I haven't contributed much to this thread since I started shooting my Guerini Summit Ltd., but I will faithfully update it each time I use the Fabarm. It is a very impressive gun for the cost. More than many semi-autos, but less than most O/Us, and so far, very dependable and easy on the eyes.

Break em' all!

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

100 more rounds today. The gun felt foreign and awkward today, but worked fine.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 3695.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

100 more rounds today. I'm practicing keeping my face on the stock throughout the shot and beyond, as I've been recently taught it helps you to see the truth of the shot picture. Was it successful? Remember that pic. Was it a miss? Know better where to move your pattern for success. I'm also concentrating more on watching the bird, not the gap, measuring, the end of the gun, etc.

These are all "basics", but I've been guilty of poorly executing them with any consistency at all. The XLR5 is a nice gun, and it worked well today, but I have to admit, I miss my Guerini Summit Limited.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 3795.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I believe I am over 10,000 rounds. No issues, I give the gun a wipe down after every shooting and a good, deep clean every 600 - 800 rounds. I shoot 1oz 1200 FPS or 1-1/8" 1200 FPS Fiocci, Win AA, B&P, Gun Club and Federal shells.

Great gun but will be replacing the snap ring on the slide bar as a precaution in the next month or so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joeracer44 wrote:
I believe I am over 10,000 rounds. No issues, I give the gun a wipe down after every shooting and a good, deep clean every 600 - 800 rounds. I shoot 1oz 1200 FPS or 1-1/8" 1200 FPS Fiocci, Win AA, B&P, Gun Club and Federal shells.

Great gun but will be replacing the snap ring on the slide bar as a precaution in the next month or so.

Thanx Joe - Good update on your Fabarm. Quick cleaning question. After 600-800 rounds, before cleaning the gun, can you still hear the bronze-colored piston clanking around? That noise tells me the gun will cycle with no problems. But if it gets too dirty (others have said) it gets quiet. Then cycling issues are close at hand.

I have also heard about the action bar sleeve snap ring failing. Does Fabarm/Guerini have any recommendations for replacing them?

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Regarding the piston sliding around after 600 rounds. I guess it does, don't really pay attention. After ever shoot I take the forearm off and wipe off any residue from the piston, the internal barrel piston area, outer portion of the shell holder, slide bar and spring. Takes about 20 minutes from take apart to back in action.

Every 600+ rounds it gets the trigger assembly pulled, receiver cleaned out and good cleaning of the piston and barrel sleeve the piston goes into. A full clean takes about 45 minutes. I use Hopps 9 with nylon brushes and tools to scrape any hard residue off all surfaces.

No recommendations from Fabarm on changing the snap ring but what I have read they seem to be breaking above 15,000 rounds on average. I am changing mine just as a preventative measure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:19 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oinodam wrote:
I have also heard about the action bar sleeve snap ring failing. Does Fabarm/Guerini have any recommendations for replacing them?

Some of the early XLR5's had issues with "the part," but the ring was redesigned and does not need replacement according to lead CG / Fabarm gunsmith Andrew.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Randy,

This is a preventive measure not a necessity. When I was buying the gun and taking it apart to review construction that snap ring stood out at me as something to change every once in awhile.

I raced off-road motorcycles for 18 years. 520 chains aren't supposed to break. But you learn to change them at least once a season when one slaps your leg at 50mph. Piston wrist pin clips aren't supposed to break but it gets really expensive when you go cheap and don't replace those when doing a top end service. Snap rings eventually break when stressed for a long time or under high load. 15000 rounds through a shotgun I feel qualifies as a harsh environment. I'll replace mine before I hear bang, ching.

RandyWakeman wrote:
oinodam wrote:

Some of the early XLR5's had issues with "the part," but the ring was redesigned and does not need replacement according to lead CG / Fabarm gunsmith Andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Joeracer44 wrote:

I raced off-road motorcycles for 18 years.

I raced bikes and carts: Yamaha Light with a Margay Pro-X Panther. Yes, I broke a lot of stuff and spent way too much on tires.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hijacking post. Randy, Did you ever race at Byron, Ottawa or Bob Bike Barn events out by the river. On the IL side north of the quad cities?

Yamaha's are devil vehicles, owned two ( YZ-125 and YZ-250WR) and both sent me to the hospital, the last time it almost succeeded in their quest to kill me. It was the bikes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Joeracer44 wrote:
Hijacking post. Randy, Did you ever race at Byron, Ottawa or Bob Bike Barn events out by the river. On the IL side north of the quad cities

Yes!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Back on thread - I am at about 700 rounds through the gun and with the breech open you can hear the piston slide back and forth on the magazine tube.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joeracer44 wrote:
Back on thread - I am at about 700 rounds through the gun and with the breech open you can hear the piston slide back and forth on the magazine tube.

Mine does the same thing. Never thought it was an issue since the gun has functioned flawlessly over 2 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

No issue with the piston moving back and forth when the breech is open, just something it does.

rmac/md wrote:
Joeracer44 wrote:

Mine does the same thing. Never thought it was an issue since the gun has functioned flawlessly over 2 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next