ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fabarm XLR5 LR - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a XLR5 LR that jams on the second shell feeding into the chamber. The shell catches on the area were extractor cutout is on the barrel right were the rim of a properly seated shell rests in the chamber. Basically the shell hits the shoulder in the chamber. The shell is canted from the force of the bolt feeding the shell into the chamber, crimp end extends out, and the edge of the plastic of the end of the taper from the crimp has shearing. I have a XLR AR that works fine. Could this be a timing issue? I need to call Fabarm, but thought maybe someone has the the same issue. Tenn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tenguage is this a new issue or one you have had for a long time? If new did it start happening after you took the trigger assembly out? My L4S did this and I realized I had the hold pins in backwards. There is a front and rear specific pin. The front has three grooves. Check this out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Tenguage is this a new issue or one you have had for a long time? If new did it start happening after you took the trigger assembly out? My L4S did this and I realized I had the hold pins in backwards. There is a front and rear specific pin. The front has three grooves. Check this out.

It is gun specific, LR. Purchased a used AR approx two years later, and have been using the AR this year. I know about the pin differences. I have the LR as a backup. It happens enough that it gets into my head when shooting, not knowing if the gun will work or not. Now that my shooting season is about done will call Fabarm. Tenn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Contacted Fabarm, timing issue with carrier. Each gun has to be timed. Tenn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Out with my wife today who shot some video of my shooting. Shot 75 rounds through my XLR5 FR. Herter's 1 oz, 7.5 @ 1060. Gun not cleaned for several hundred rounds. Tempted to see how long I can go before it stops feeding shells.

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)
Fabarm XLR5 FR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

gbanker wrote:
Out with my wife today who shot some video of my shooting. Shot 75 rounds through my XLR5 FR. Herter's 1 oz, 7.5 @ 1060. Gun not cleaned for several hundred rounds. Tempted to see how long I can go before it stops feeding shells.

gbanker - early on, those same low recoil Herter shells caused me some FTE probs in colder weather (when I lived in Michigan). I think I also was still learning how little oil the action bar/bolt requires. I'm sure I over-lubed. In warm weather, my guess is you could shoot it quite a while before you encounter feeding issues. Let us all know!

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Winchester Model 12 16 Gage
Michigan Shooting Centers
National Shooting Center

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Purchased a new to me XLR5 while in San Antonio from Gray's Gun Cache. Here's a little report after shooting approximately 250 rounds.

Gun is heavy. 9LB 2oz. Same weight as my K-32 but handles completely different. Bulky but really moves well. I was surprised at how easy it handles and moves. Recoil shooting Fed 7/8 oz. 1200 FPS is really not noticeable but I did have a couple of unusual happenings. Three times the bolt closed after the second shot and twice it did not load the second shot. Gun never did this while using Gun Clubs 1-1/8 oz. or Fiocchi 1 oz. 1250 FPS. Felt recoil was a little stiffer with Gun Clubs, not so much with Fiocchi. Buddy bought the high rib model same day as me and his did the same thing with the Fed 7/8 oz. so I'm going to say this is not its favorite shell.

Both guns pattern beautifully with their #2 choke. Only choke we have until he ships us the case and the rest of the chokes. According to Fabarm this is around an .008. Broke targets out to forty yards with authority.While in San Antonio Fabarm gunsmith went through both guns at no charge and went over the cleaning and maintenance routine with us. Really simple gun to maintain.

I haven't pulled the stock off yet to see if it has the kinetic balancer in it.

Had a question and contacted Fabarm and they called me within two hours. They have a really good You-Tube video on disassembly and cleaning and re-assembly.

Mine is a 2013 model and there wasn't a mark on it. I acquired a Phillips release and as always it's a really nice release.

Anyone thinking about one of these feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps.
Snooky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:07 am 
Presentation Grade

oinodam wrote:
gbanker wrote:

gbanker - early on, those same low recoil Herter shells caused me some FTE probs in colder weather (when I lived in Michigan). I think I also was still learning how little oil the action bar/bolt requires. I'm sure I over-lubed. In warm weather, my guess is you could shoot it quite a while before you encounter feeding issues. Let us all know!

Lately I have been using synthetic grease as a lube. Cleans up well. I'm not waiting for the gun to stop cycling before cleaning; cleaning about ever 500 rounds or so. (see my post about cleaning under "General" forum.

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)
Fabarm XLR5 FR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bought a new XLR5 Compact the issue I'm having is getting the barrel to come off, very hard and when you put it back on it don't snap in like on the video. Over all seems like a nice gun, probably going to need to put more drop in it with a different shim.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had the same issue with the barrel sticking. Solution is to put a light film of oil or very light grease on the extension before reassembly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

75 more rounds today. I didn't shoot the Fabarm, but my original Michigan shooting buddy from my first days as a sporting clays shooter came to San Antonio to visit some family he has in town. We went to the NSC for some fun stuff. He loves the gun, and his coveting of it was renewed as he shot it - very well!

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 3870.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Getting quiet a few rounds through mine.

Without a doubt the best shooting and handling semi I've ever owned. Had a bunch of 391 and three 1100 and this gun is so much better than them, in my opinion. Maybe it just fits me better, I don't know.

Mine doesn't like 7/8 oz Federals but I've never had a malfunction with any 1 oz. or heavier load.

Wish they made a twenty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:22 am 
Tournament Grade

snooky wrote:

Without a doubt the best shooting and handling semi I've ever owned. Had a bunch of 391 and three 1100 and this gun is so much better than them, in my opinion. Maybe it just fits me better, I don't know.

Mine doesn't like 7/8 oz Federals but I've never had a malfunction with any 1 oz. or heavier load.

Wish they made a twenty.

Fitment was the issue for me. Tried Beretta and Browning S/A's during my search. Neither felt right. Came down between a Benelli SuperSport and the XLR5. Fabarm won.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm at a little over 86k on my main XLR5 now, and my carrier broke at a shoot this past weekend. It's the left rear corner, just like the other two I've found photos of on the internet. Appears to be a weak spot in the design. I'm on my third snap ring now. Overall, I think that's pretty good for a now high-mileage target crushing semi-auto.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:49 am 
Tournament Grade

does the xlr5 have a palm swell?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mine doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

rans wrote:
does the xlr5 have a palm swell?

My XLR5 has a moderate palm swell.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am 
Crown Grade

SWSportsman wrote:
I'm at a little over 86k on my main XLR5 now, and my carrier broke at a shoot this past weekend. It's the left rear corner, just like the other two I've found photos of on the internet. Appears to be a weak spot in the design. I'm on my third snap ring now. Overall, I think that's pretty good for a now high-mileage target crushing semi-auto.

That's not too bad. I might try a L4S Sporting. Just don't quite get along with my XLR5 LR.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Took the Fabarm out today for the first time in a long while and put 115 more rounds thru it. I used my 7/8 ounce reloads and had zero issues. Perfect. And after about 10-20 rounds, the auto-loader clanking around became a non-issue. My Guerini is still my starter, but I may go to the bench a little more often for this Fabarm.

Total shot count for the XLR5 LR = 3985.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:26 am 
Crown Grade

snooky wrote:

Wish they made a twenty.

Snooky, shot a XLR5 Velocity (30") yesterday for 1st. time. Normally shoot a MX8 Perazzi.

Really, really, impressed with this auto, and I mean stunning when I went to a Kicks/Smoke IC choke shooting reloads of 7/8 oz. @ 1300 fps. on a tough sporting course, shooting mostly doubles to get use to the moving dynamics of the gun. Have owned 4, 391's and now shoot only Perazzi but this will now change. Can't believe I'm saying that but it is what it is.

The Kicks/Smoke IC choke equalled the Mod. Fabarm choke in distance and breaks (easily out to 45 yds.) I was stunned, and so were my squadmates. We took the gun apart and cleaned it after shooting - simple for a auto, about 10 minutes - max. Everyone in the squad shoots P guns but they were very impressed with this XLR5 Velocity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next