ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Summit Limited w/ High Rib - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oinodam wrote:
More practice and 3 local NSC shoots - 1150 more rounds.

I've forgotten how to shoot. In basketball, the sport of my youth, it is said that good shooters in a slump keep shooting. Eventually, they return to form. I hope that's true for sporting clays. I'm too old for basketball.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 27800.

Hey Andy, props to you for going out to shoot in the Texas heat! We are definitely due for a break. Mary Ann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Hey Andy, props to you for going out to shoot in the Texas heat! We are definitely due for a break. Mary Ann

Thanx Mary Ann. I must admit, I am tired of sweating while shooting this summer.

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Winchester Model 12 16 Gage
Michigan Shooting Centers
National Shooting Center

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

More practice and one local NSC event - 675 more rounds.

My 'old man Thursday crew' went to the 74 Ranch today, and we had a lot of fun. I wish that place was closer to San Antonio and that they held regular NSCA events there.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 28475.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

One big dance warm-up and then the Nationals - 765 more rounds.

Had good fun at the 2019 Nationals. I got to shoot with one of my old Michigan shooting buddies and catch up on a lot. This is only my third, and I wasn't as lousy as my previous two debacles. Actually, although the results were not stellar, I had reason to hope that my aging body/brain are still capable of learning. As usual, I shot with some great people and had a good time doing so.

I also stopped by John Woolley's portable gun store and found a really nice Zoli EL-EVO that I really liked, and with a mid-rib and regular adjustable sporting stock, it woud fit me without any modifications (except LOP spacer). Next gun maybe. John is one of my low gun move-mount-shoot heroes that I am trying to emulate. My wife was not too keen on the idea though. That will require some lobbying and/or an unexpected windfall.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 29240.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oinodam wrote:
One big dance warm-up and then the Nationals - 765 more rounds.

Had good fun at the 2019 Nationals. I got to shoot with one of my old Michigan shooting buddies and catch up on a lot. This is only my third, and I wasn't as lousy as my previous two debacles. Actually, although the results were not stellar, I had reason to hope that my aging body/brain are still capable of learning. As usual, I shot with some great people and had a good time doing so.

I also stopped by John Woolley's portable gun store and found a really nice Zoli EL-EVO that I really liked, and with a mid-rib and regular adjustable sporting stock, it woud fit me without any modifications (except LOP spacer). Next gun maybe. John is one of my low gun move-mount-shoot heroes that I am trying to emulate. My wife was not too keen on the idea though. That will require some lobbying and/or an unexpected windfall.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 29240.

Mention to your wife that as you are now in Texas and do not have state income tax, you really would just be spending found money. MAJ

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:52 am 
Diamond Grade

Go for it! You’ll love the balance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Mention to your wife that as you are now in Texas and do not have state income tax, you really would just be spending found money. MAJ

Mary Ann - You are very convincing. Maybe I could arrange for you two to meet. I'll tell her you're my gun agent. :shock: Anyway, it's just gun lust at this point. I still love my Guerini, and the Guerini forum folks . . . . . but if a Zoli XL-EVO appeared on my doorstep, I'd give her a loving home. And if she came with a 2nd 28 gauge barrel, she'd move onto first string.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've had a good time shooting since Nationals. 450 more rounds lately. I feel like I've made an incremental improvement in my overall shooting in the last few months.

Minor problem, I had a couple of senior moments at my last NSCA shoot in Austin. Twice, I thought the #1 5-stand bird was the #6 bird. It cost me 3 birds.

One other minor gun issue. Since I had Cole modify my Guerini to have "skeet" triggers (Guerini's nomenclature for very sensitive inertia trigger mods - NOT mechanical triggers) so I could reliably shoot 28G using Briley SideKicks 2.0 tubes, I have had three instances of double-fire events. Previously, in 25+k rounds I had zero double-fires. Has anyone else with similar trigger mods seen this? It's not a huge issue, but I'm hopeful it won't deteriorate.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 29690.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well CG friends, the end of 2019 has nearly arrived. My next and last time shooting this year will be after Christmas at Cap City in Austin - weather permitting. Two recent NSCA events and some practice have led to 560 more rounds. Also, the CG Summit Ltd. has reached the 30k rounds mark. Nice accomplishment CG.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 30250.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's been a slow start to 2020. I've had several out of town family-related trips, and a few other reasons to miss local shoots. I have added 800 rounds to my CG Summit Ltd's. total however, and it continues to impress.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 31050.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Andy, glad to have you back and reporting on your journey; good shooting to you! MAJ

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Most of my shooting since my last post has been practice/fun, since SC tournaments have been Corona'd out of existence. 2120 rounds thru my Guerini since late February, although I have two local NSCA tournaments of late in that count. I did have one issue. Since my trigger rework into a "skeet trigger", I had what felt like slight binding in the trigger that was very disruptive to my shooting. I removed the stock to gain access to the receiver mechanism and added a tiny bit of Wilson Combat grease to areas I guessed needed it. Since then it has been fine - no transient binding issues in the trigger.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 33170.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Its been a while since I posted last. I guess I lost some enthusiasm for this forum. I've put 3130 rounds thru my Summit Limited since the last time I was here. All of them are reloads - primarily my 7/8 ounce, some have been my 1 ounce, and a few 28G 3/4 ounce jobs for fun. I haven't shot factory loads for months. I've been using a combination of the 7/8 and 1 oz. reloads for local tournaments, depending on the target presentation.

The gun is still doing well, although I get a double fire once in a great while (since I had Cole Gunsmithing lighten the inertia triggers for my 28G tubes; what CG calls "Skeet" triggers).

Anyway, it's good to be back.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 36300.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

hmm can't really fault CG for trigger work done by Cole. Glad you're updating us. Your posts helped inspire me to keep a log on two of my newest guns. Had not done that before and really like the idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

This is a joint Guerini Summit Ltd. and Fabarm XLR5 update.

It has been awhile since I've really done some shooting with my XLR5 LR, but today, I went to Joshua Creek for some pre-Nationals practice. I took the XLR5 along with my Guerini Summit Ltd., with which I have accumulated nearly 38k rounds, and planned to use at the Nationals.

I hesitated before packing the XLR5 in my truck as I thought it unwise to shoot it before the Nationals because I was sure my Guerini would continue to be my go-to gun. Why confuse my muscle memory? Why introduce a different feeling gun to my hands and eyes. I new I really shouldn't do it . . . but I did.

And the unthinkable happened - I could hardly miss with the Fabarm XLR5. It felt so good at pointing. I could move it with more smoothness than my beloved Guerini. I felt more confidence with it. This wasn't supposed to happen! One of my shooting buddies (my main "advisor") who I get lessons from occasionally, told me I ought to shoot this gun in the Nationals. He was watching me closely, and said I moved so much better with that gun, that I kept my head on the stock better, and that I needed to commit to it for the big show.

So I think I will and see what happens. I didn't shoot any fast, close crossers today; I didn't shoot any rabbits; There were plenty of teals, chondels, quartering targets, and edgy birds. I could "see" them better than I have for some time. I shot gun down on many shots, so my FITASC event should be OK. I didn't have any pairs that were close/far, where a single choke would have to suffice (I used a Muller 2 for everything, as I have in the past). We'll see. I don't really know what the XLR5's long-term durability will be, but whatever I learn, I'll pass on to y'all.

I will add this paragraph regarding the Guerini and the primary differences in the guns. The Fabarm LOP is about 16 1/4". The Guerini is 15 1/2". I can move my left arm out on the Fabarm fore arm a bit farther - the fore end is much longer. All this may contribute to a more muted but controlled swing of the gun, even though it is lighter. I will try and lengthen my Guerini LOP accordingly and see how it feels. Maybe I'll try and grip the fore arm out further, but that will mean partially getting my left hand/fingers on the barrel, which may feel odd. We'll see and go from there. Shooting is a continual learning and growing experience. I think that's what keep it fun and interesting.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 37710.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9