ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summit Limited w/ High Rib - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Much as I love the Anson release on CGs, they are tricky and think they could lead to cracking in the fore-end. And I have had problems, as have friends, in getting the release to push, I don't know it is caused by swelling from our balmy Texas weather, or if it is just an old lady problem. It has been a consistent issue across all five CGs I have owned. I do think that one of the problems is swelling from barrels heat; when I used to take lessons and put a lot of shells through the gun in a short period of time, I couldn't get the fore-end off; my end of lesson move was to hand the gun to my instructor who would push the button for me. On my 20 gauge, bought from August, I had to lay a screwdriver crosswise and push down to get it to release. August worked a little magic and it is now easier to open. In any case, I do think the fore-ends are the Achilles heel on CGs, and much more fragile than the rest of the gun. MAJ

MAJENKINS - I actually watched the CG How-To video on assembly and disassembly. In the video (at about the 2:50 mark), Andrew describes the technique he uses to make depressing the Anson release button easier. He squeezes the fore-end into the barrel, thus reducing the tension on the latch, and the button presses much easier. I do this every time I remove my fore-end, even though I'm a strapping man in my prime :). If I don't do this, the button press force is much harder. It may help you on your Guerini's too.

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Winchester Model 12 16 Gage
Michigan Shooting Centers
National Shooting Center

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

HalfStop wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Nice looking gun. I'm not a fan of the case hardening finish, but different strokes...

Did you install the Add-a-Rib yourself or send it off to be done? I assume these add-on ribs come in a variety of heights? What height is yours? Looks to be about 3/4" to 7/8".

IMHO I absolutely LOVE the case hardened finish. I've noticed over the years that some people really love that look and others find it a turn off. Funny how people's tastes vary so much.

HalfStop - I like the case-hardened look as well, obviously. But I know it's personal taste. I know you didn't specifically ask, but I did install the Add-A-Rib; it's 3/4" high. I wanted enough height so that I could slightly raise my comb now, thus allowing for me to get fatter :x or skinnier :wink: over time. Plus, the standard drop of most guns in the U.S. doesn't accommodate my personal geometry. I end up with a trap shooters sight picture on most as-is guns - lots of rib and the requirement to float the bird. That's another variable I don't need. Thanx for the comments.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

A couple of practice rounds recently. Next event is Saturday. Another 100 bird main, 50 Super Sporting, and 50 5-Stand. Then the gun is off to CG in Maryland for repair and pit stop.

235 more rounds thru the CGSL.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 17160.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Andy, thanks for the tip. Ah yes, when all else fails read/look at the directions. I'm shooting on Saturday with my little hobbit friend, Melanie who also has difficulty with the release. We are going to give your suggestion a try! Mary Ann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shot Saturday - poorly. Another 100 bird main, 50 Super Sporting, and 50 5-Stand, plus warm-up and extras.

I sent the gun off to Guerini in Cambridge, Maryland on Tuesday. I used FedEx, and insured the gun for full value. Kinda' pricey. Hopefully, they can repair the crack without disturbing my urethane finish. And, if miracles happen, they will warrant it. I'm not holding my breath.

230 more rounds thru the CGSL.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 17390.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

My Summit Limited arrived today at Guerini in Cambridge, MD at 11:31AM.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

On Monday (20AUG18), Andrew at Caesar Guerini called to tell me he was finished with my fore-end crack repair and a pit stop. He said he was able to get some glue into the crack and create some relief with the barrels (material removal of some kind), and Guerini didn't charge me for that repair :B3

He said the pit stop revealed a gun in "very good condition" for having 17k rounds thru her. I was happy to hear that. I asked in my repair form to have the action tightened up and Andrew assured me he had done that. I honestly don't know how that is done, but there is adjustment in the fore-end to accomplish this task. If someone could explain it to me again (Andrew at CG did, but without a gun in front of me, it's hard to visualize), I'd appreciate it.

I enjoy my Fabarm XLR5 LR, but my CGSL is my EDSG (every day sporting gun). UPS tracking tells me that I should receive it Tuesday, 28AUG18. I shipped it FedEx, insuring it for $5k, as Guerini recommends, and that was about $98. UPS return shipping cost me $41. It ain't cheap to ship these guns.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey Andy, is your baby home? How does it look? MAJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Hey Andy, is your baby home? How does it look? MAJ

Hi Mary Ann,

UPS returned it Tuesday. It looks fine. Andrew at CG called me when he completed working on it and told me he was able to coax some glue into the fore-end crack and relieve the contact with the barrels when installing it, all at no charge to me (see previous post). The crack will still be visible (if you look closely) on the outside because of the urethane coating I had installed some time ago. If I want it to be absolutely perfect, I will need to remove and redo the urethane - it's not worth it to do that. Like me, it has another scar from life to add to it's character. But the gun is still a beauty!

The official CG repair list includes: Repair fore-end; adjusted stock fit (not sure, probably tightened the stock bolt?); polished muzzle; cleaned bores; polished ejectors; polished breach face; adjusted fore-end fit (it was looser than new - it is now tighter); adjusted action tension insert (same as previous).

I did detect a slight ring from somewhere inside the stock when I shot it today. I'm guessing it has something to do with the DTS kinetic balancer. I'm not sure what the cause is, and I didn't hear it before this repair, but it isn't a problem for me.

Took it out today for a 100 round trial and I'm glad she's back. I missed her.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 17490.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:43 am 
Crown Grade

Andy, the action is tightened by the very simple process of changing a small steel insert in the forend for a slightly oversize one.

Very much the same as on the Beretta DT10/11 series.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congratulations Andy, I'm glad that your chick is safely back in the nest and doing her job properly. Good shooting and continue enjoying our balmy TX summer. I gave my San Antonio-resident sister a Fabarms XLR5 for her 70th birthday (through August Crocker), but I don't think she's shot it yet. She's running for reelection to a judgeship so I think all fun is on hold until after the first week in November. I think I'm more excited to find out how the gun shoots than she is. MAJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Congratulations Andy, I'm glad that your chick is safely back in the nest and doing her job properly. Good shooting and continue enjoying our balmy TX summer. I gave my San Antonio-resident sister a Fabarms XLR5 for her 70th birthday (through August Crocker), but I don't think she's shot it yet. She's running for reelection to a judgeship so I think all fun is on hold until after the first week in November. I think I'm more excited to find out how the gun shoots than she is. MAJ

Thanx again Mary Ann - I shot 75 more today with my shooting buddies before we shared lunch. The regular Thursday "old guys" outing. I was surprised I only shot 75 rounds today. I thought I hit 100, which I have determined is an "MDA" - minimum daily allowance.

Trickster wrote:
Andy, the action is tightened by the very simple process of changing a small steel insert in the forend for a slightly oversize one. Very much the same as on the Beretta DT10/11 series.

Trickster - Thank you for the explanation. I am really happy with the fore-arm tightening method you describe. The gun feels new again.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 17565.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

365 more rounds comprising mostly practice and a local NSCA outing. Plus, I've had a second lesson with Tom Mack. He's got me doing a few basic bedrock things I was not doing consistently, and that I believe will eventually begin to bear fruit. They need to become ingrained in my subconscious and my muscle memory, which is proving to be a process.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 17935.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

300 more rounds of practice and a local NSCA outing at Capital City in Austin. I'm slowly getting used to the modifications to the gun made by Tom Mack to get my face more firmly welded to the stock during the shot.

I shot much better than I have recently on a course that was close but testy at times. Hopefully the improvement trend will continue.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 18235.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

150 more rounds of practice and 200 rounds in a local NSCA outing at NSC Saturday. I started off fairly well, but my concentration deteriorated as the day wore on. That is a mental aspect of this sport I need to improve, or find a remedy for. I'm finding that 150 tournament rounds a day seems to be my max.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 18585.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 am 
Presentation Grade

175 more rounds of practice and 160 in a local NSCA outing at Kerrville prior to the Nationals.

630 total rounds at the Nationals. Had a good time and shot with a great squad. Had a Michigan shooting buddy to reconnect with, and a couple of other guys that it was a pleasure and honor to shoot with. Shot better than last year, but lots of room for improvement. The Guerini was flawless, but I was still fiddling with minor raised comb adjustments (a la previous posts and Tom Mack lesson) throughout the event. Just 450 more rounds to an even 20k.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 19550.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oinodam wrote:
175 more rounds of practice and 160 in a local NSCA outing at Kerrville prior to the Nationals.

630 total rounds at the Nationals. Had a good time and shot with a great squad. Had a Michigan shooting buddy to reconnect with, and a couple of other guys that it was a pleasure and honor to shoot with. Shot better than last year, but lots of room for improvement. The Guerini was flawless, but I was still fiddling with minor raised comb adjustments (a la previous posts and Tom Mack lesson) throughout the event. Just 450 more rounds to an even 20k.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 19550.

Okay Andy, where can your Texas shooting buddies throw the 20,000 shell party? Mary Ann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Okay Andy, where can your Texas shooting buddies throw the 20,000 shell party? Mary Ann

Nice thought Mary Ann. I think I'l keep a low profile and wait for something more extensive, like 50K or 100k.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

515 more rounds of practice and 100 in a local NSCA outing at Marble Falls have powered the Guerini passed the 20k mark recently. No celebratory party though. Just another day in the life of a Guerini product doing its job. Still been fine tuning the comb height. I think it feels pretty good and consistent now.

SC Season is winding down. The wife and I are still eating Thanksgiving leftovers. I love leftovers! My dear friends in Denver also sent me my annual fruitcake. Strange as many think, I love fruitcake. I believe one could survive on fruitcake indefinately if one had to. Personally, you can never have too much fruitcake, shotshells, and toilet paper. Just my philosophy.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 20165.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
National Shooting Center

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oinodam wrote:
515 more rounds of practice and 100 in a local NSCA outing at Marble Falls have powered the Guerini passed the 20k mark recently. No celebratory party though. Just another day in the life of a Guerini product doing its job. Still been fine tuning the comb height. I think it feels pretty good and consistent now.

SC Season is winding down. The wife and I are still eating Thanksgiving leftovers. I love leftovers! My dear friends in Denver also sent me my annual fruitcake. Strange as many think, I love fruitcake. I believe one could survive on fruitcake indefinately if one had to. Personally, you can never have too much fruitcake, shotshells, and toilet paper. Just my philosophy.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 20165.

Well now that you are in Texas and just a stone's throw (in Texas calculations of distance) from Corsicana and the Collins Street Bakery, you can go chow down on all the fruit cake you want! I totally agree on the toilet paper, it was my "entry drug" to COSTCO membership. But I would add single malt scotch to the list. MAJ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next